Breathe In, Breathe Out: A Beginner’s Guide to Meditating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Meditation is one of those things that almost every person has heard of, knows she should do, but doesn’t because she doesn’t know where or how to start.

Meditation, according to this study, can change the structure of your brain in just a matter of 8 weeks. The laundry list of beneficial side effects is massive: better sleep, lower anxiety, improved immune system, weight loss, lower cholesterol, increased blood flow, increased sex drive, reduced muscle tension, regulated breath, reduced blood pressure, increased energy levels, reduction in depressive symptoms, increased brain functioning, improved attention and memory, increased creativity…and so much more.

That’s a lot of increase and reduction to keep track of, but the most important thing to know about meditation is that it is one of the healthiest things you can do for your body, and some would argue it is more important than working out or eating healthfully (though that’s not an excuse to skimp on the gym and eat all your meals at BK…). Overall, meditation calms the body and the mind and increases well-being.

But how do you meditate? What does it even entail? A big part of meditation is sitting still and observing your thoughts. The goal of meditation often times is to clear your mind, which for a lot of us seems like a daunting task because our minds wander and we have ruminating thoughts and worries that pop into our heads all day. Instead of focusing on having a “thought-free” mind, try to observe and let your thoughts flow in and out without engaging them. That concept may not make sense to you until you try actually meditating.

“Meditation” can encompass a lot of different methods. Here are some techniques to try if you are new to meditating. Try each of these to figure out what works best for you.

*All meditation should be practiced in a quiet room free of distractions. Sit comfortably with your legs crossed and close your eyes. Sometimes it can be helpful to set an alarm for the amount of time you want to be meditating so you don’t feel compelled to break your focus and check the time.

1. Focus on your breath: breathe in through your nose for three seconds and out through your mouth for six seconds. The longer exhale triggers your brain to calm down and by counting the seconds you can clear your mind of other thoughts.

2. Meditate on a specific thought: Gabrielle Bernstein has some wonderful guided audio meditations you can try that focus on topics like body love, self-forgiveness, and gratitude, though they aren’t free. You can also practice this on your own. For example, for gratitude, breathe deeply in through your nose and out through your mouth while focusing on one thing or person that you are grateful for.

3. Focus on your body: This technique can be practiced lying down. While breathing deeply, focus on relaxing every part of your body, starting from the toes up to the top of your head – imagine a warm light slowly spreading over your body.

4. Visualize your “happy place”: Think of a place that makes you feel calm and happy, and visualize being there as you breathe deeply. This place could be the beach, or it could be a specific place like your childhood bedroom.

5. Go to a class: Sometimes meditating on your own for the first time is too challenging, or you may just generally prefer group guidance. Dharma Yoga Evanston has free meditation classes on Monday and Friday nights. 

Thank you to mindbodygreen.com for the title photo.