Untitled design 2019 04 07T140447799png?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Untitled design 2019 04 07T140447799png?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo via @beyonce
Wellness > Health

Beyoncé x Peloton Workout Class Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

There’s nothing Queen Bey can’t rule – music, fashion, and now, thanks to her recent collaboration with Peloton, she’s added fitness to her even-expanding empire. It doesn’t get more motivating, energizing or empowering than sweating to “Bow Down” with a virtual pack of Bey Hives. Put simply, I’m “Crazy In Love” with the energy Beyoncé x Peloton brings to my workout and the positive intent behind the collaborative effort. 

Peloton deems this collab their most “Epic Collaboration Ever,” and I couldn’t agree more. This fall, the legend herself teamed up with Peloton to launch a series of workout classes in celebration of the Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) Homecoming festivities. According to the Peloton website, classes are available in a range of workout types and platforms: indoor cycling, running, strength, bootcamp, yoga and meditation. So don’t worry if you don’t have access to a Peloton bike, all you need is the Peloton App, a cute workout fit, maybe some water because, you know, hydration is always a priority . . .  and you’re good to go! Plus, the Peloton App offers a free 30-day trial to new members. Students attending one of these HBCUs – Bennett College, Clark Atlanta University, Grambling State University, Hampton University, Howard University, Morehouse College and Morehouse School of Medicine, Spelman College, Texas Southern University and Wilberforce – can redeem a free, two year Peloton Digital membership by the end of this month. 

But what’s most noteworthy about this fitness special is Beyoncé x Peloton’s commitment to supporting HBCUs far beyond Homecoming 2020. Peloton promises to build “relationships with each of these schools to pursue long-term recruiting partnerships at the internship and undergraduate levels.” The job market has been turned upside down, so it’s wonderful that Peloton’s striving to support undergrads post-stretch sesh. 

The other day I was feeling rather lethargic and in desperate need of a non-caffeinated energy boost. With exactly 45 minutes left before my 11:30 a.m. Italian class, I hopped on the Peloton bike, ready for one of Alex Toussaint’s prerecorded rides, when to my surprise the stars aligned, and a notification popped up on my screen: “2 minutes until the first ever Beyoncé surprise Ride!” After reading so much about Beyoncé’s latest feat, I was pretty ~ecstatic~ to say the least. The ride was called “Beyoncé Two-For-One Ride with Alex and Tunde cycling class.” I’ll share my reactions, feedback, and overall thoughts about this particular class and you can decide for yourself if it’s worth the sweat.

The ride was only 30 minutes long, but the time crunch didn’t stop Alex and Tunde from jamming in all the top hits. The playlist was “Flawless,” with songs from “Dangerously in Love, “I Am . . . Sasha Fierce,” “Beyoncé,” “4” and, of course, “HOMECOMING: THE LIVE ALBUM.”  Beyoncé’s music naturally pairs so perfectly with HIIT workouts, like a 30 minute spin class, and this ride was no exception. My favorite moment was the 4 minute, out of the saddle “Crazy In Love” stint. 

Peloton, like any traditional spinning class (think SoulCyle) prides itself in offering not only a physical journey, but a spiritual one, too. With certain rides this can seem a bit forced or overdone *I’m just trying to get a workout in and don’t need to overanalyze my life goals* vibe. However, the spiritual, motivational rhetoric of Beyoncé Two-For-One Ride felt authentic and relatable. It wasn’t overdone or sappy. 

Alex is hands down my favorite instructor; I always take his classes. The Alex playlists consistently pop off, and his enthusiastic attitude is infectious. This was my first time taking a class with Tunde Oyeneyin, and she is an amazing instructor, too. The pair did a fantastic job of weaving fitness with hip hop, while maintaining a balance of challenging yet bearable climb intervals. It’s the type of workout that makes you feel breathlessly blissful, not weary worn out and ready-to-crumple-to-the-floor. Something that I greatly appreciated pre-Italian. In terms of difficulty, this ride receives a 7 out of 10 from me. 

In short, if you’re looking for an energizing half hour, I would highly recommend “Beyonce Two-For-One Ride with Alex and Tunde cycling class.” Hooray for Beyoncé x Peloton!

I’m a junior studying political science, international studies, and environmental policy. I love all things lifestyle — fashion, beauty, art, interior design ... it's all so inspiring to me. When I'm not editing for Her Campus, you can find me spending time with friends, family, and my wheaten terrier puppy, Eloise. VSCO is my preferred form of social media, and my go-to Starbucks order is a brown sugar shaken espresso. I could watch "AD Open Door" or "Life in Looks" for hours. And, there's nothing better than a beach day in August.