This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

This past summer, I received loads of advice on how to get ready for my freshman year. The advice varied from how to balance school work and social life to what college essentials I had to bring. But the most helpful advice I received by far was related to maintaining my personal health. My mom would no longer be around to guide me to make healthy decisions. These 11 tips are what I found to be most helpful in keeping my health on track over the first month of my freshman year:

1. Stock your dorm room and fridge with healthy snacks

Not all your meals will be eaten in the dining hall. Sometimes you’ll have class during breakfast or lunch time or you won’t always have time or motivation to go to the dining hall. To make sure you keep a healthy diet and don’t miss meals, stock your room with healthy and easy on-the-go snacks. It’s always a good idea to keep fresh fruits and veggies in your fridge but if you don’t have access to fresh fruit, swap it out for dried fruit or trail mixes with fruit. String cheese and protein bars are also great snacks. Don’t forget to check the sugar content!

2. Make sure you eat a balanced meal at the dining hall

When you visit the dining hall, try to fill your plate with at least one type of fresh fruit, vegetable, protein and whole grain. It’s difficult to find one of each sometimes because of the countless choices available at each meal. To make sure you keep this up, head to the salad bar first, as it usually has all four categories in one place. If you can’t find an appetizing protein, don’t sweat it! Substitute it with fruit or veggies, instead of starch. 

3. Choose to take the stairs instead of the elevator

Not only does taking the stairs save energy, but your body gets a workout while doing it. While it might seem like a pain on the way to your 9 a.m., taking the stairs will wake you up and get those endorphins flowing that will start your day off right.

4. Make a workout plan and stick to it

This is probably the hardest to do, especially while trying to adjust to the craziness that is freshman year. Start slow and figure out what types of workouts and times work for you. If it’s just 30 minutes of jogging three times a week that’s great! What’s important is that you’re staying active.

5. Drink Water!

Water will become your best friend. It’s free and can be found all over campus from water fountains to the dining hall. Drinking water instead of soda or juice will not only save you calories, but it will keep you from becoming dehydrated during the day. Dehydration can lead to headaches, fatigue and dizziness, which can put a damper on your busy day. Carry a reusable water bottle around with you for hydration and to be environmentally friendly!

6. Watch your sugar intake

Sugar can sometimes be sneaky. You’d be surprised at the amount of sugar in some of the foods we think are “healthy.” A good rule of thumb is to always look at the protein, sugar, and fat on the nutritional values label. If the fat or sugar exceeds the amount of protein in the food, then it’s not as healthy as you may think.

7. Share the love!

You will hopefully receive a care package over the course of the year from a loved one who misses you filled with delicious baked sweets and other junk food. Share that love with the people in your dorm! Food is a great way for people to bond and meet new people, plus it won’t be in your dorm room tempting you.

8. Take advantage of the free gym access and fitness classes on campus

Most college campuses provide their students with free access to a gym or athletic training facility. Some colleges also host fitness classes during the day for free or a small entry fee. Take advantage of these classes and if you don’t want to go alone, bring a friend who might become your new gym buddy!

9. Make sleep a priority

With the many pressures and seemingly endless work that comes along with college, we sometimes forget to take care of ourselves and put ourselves to bed on time. According to research published by Nature and Science of Sleep, 70 percent of college students report not receiving enough sleep. When the human body doesn’t sleep, it doesn’t have to opportunity to recharge and prepare for the day, so make sure to sleep so you can be your best self every day!

10. Avoid multitasking at meals

It can sometimes be hard to step away from school work or the never-ending stream of social media but make sure to unplug during your meals! If you’re too focused on your studies or what’s trending on Twitter, then you’re not paying attention to what you’re eating. A scientific study from The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed that distractions during meals counteracts the usual cognitive restraint that tells you when you’re full and leads to overeating. So put that phone down and take time for yourself to eat!

11. If you’re in need of caffeine, switch to black coffee

As a recovering latte addict, this was a difficult switch for me. I love having my coffee sweet and smooth, but the switch to black coffee saved me major calories and money. There are ways to make your coffee sweet without loads of sugar dumped in. Try using artificial sweetener or flavored coffee creamer. If that doesn’t do it for you, try to limit your sugary coffee drink intake to only on occasion.

These habits have kept me grounded in a healthy lifestyle over the past month and I plan on continuing them through the year and beyond. These habits might not work for everyone, but now is the time to start your own healthy habits, so find what works best for you! 

Freshman Medill student at Northwestern University