Fit U, Fit You: Avoiding the Freshman 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Hey there! My name is Sarah Gaines and I’m a third year Communication Studies major. I’m a huge fitness nerd and in my spare time write a blog Fit University.

There’s me in Marino, in heels, lifting weights. Casual.

I’m very excited to be writing a series of posts for Her Campus – The Fit U, Fit You Series. I’ll be featuring ways to stay fit at NU, how to eat fit at NU, dorm friendly workouts, and more. So without further adieu… 

Fit U, Fit You Series – Part I

You’ve made it through the first half of the semester. Things have picked up. You’re probably busy sunrise to sunset with clubs, homework, tests, class, friends… the list goes on. With such a busy schedule, how can you possibly stay fit and avoid the Freshman Fifteen? Or even the Middler Fifteen? It’s not as hard as you may think…

1. Make it a priority. You’ve got a 3 hour break in between classes. Instead of taking a nap, head over to Marino. You’ve got your classes scheduled so schedule your workouts. You wouldn’t skip too many classes so don’t skip too many workouts, either. 

2. Be prepared. If you know you have a long day of classes, pack lunch and some snacks so you’re not starving the whole day. Keep some fruit on hand or a handful of nuts for extra energy.

3. Take advantage of your surroundings. You live in one of the greatest cities in the world! There are tons of fitness studios around. Do some research and see what strikes your fancy. If you’re looking for some free fitness, just take a walk around the city or run by the Charles. The city is your gym! Marino also has some awesome group fitness classes to try.  

4. Watch what you drink. We’re in college. We go out, we have fun, and we drink. Alcohol, not to mention mixers, will add crazy calories to your daily intake. Stay away from juices and their high sugar content, and try to use diet sodas instead. Choose clear liquor over dark liquor and beer. It’ll save you calories and the awful sugar hangover. My go-to drink? Vodka Diet Coke.

5. Make fit choices. Eating Popeyes in Curry three times a week is probably not such a good idea. Likewise, eating 3 slices of pizza followed by 5 cookies in Stetson probably isn’t such a good idea either. It’s ok to indulge every now and then but when faced with food choices on campus or off, make fit choices and choose your unfit foods wisely. Pizza on occasion is ok, pizza every night adds up. 

6. Have fun. Working out doesn’t have to be a chore. Find ways you enjoy getting your fitness on! Take your friends and experiment with different types of exercise: dance, Kickbox, yoga, or weight lifting. Mixing things up keeps it interesting. On the same note, eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring. Experiment with different foods and you may surprise yourself with how delicious eating healthy can be!

Stay tuned for more of the Fit U, Fit You Series!

Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook!

Shannon Clark

Northeastern

Shannon is a third year communication studies and business student at Northeastern University in Boston, MA. She has always been interested in writing and journalism, and Her Campus seemed like the perfect outlet for that! She has been part of Her Campus Northeastern since her freshman year, and has recently been elected as co-correspondent. She is excited for a great semester!