harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

How To Handle Anxiety and Depression in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

As everyone knows, college is both a fun and very stressful time. For those of us (myself included) who deal with anxiety and depression, college can sometimes be a trigger and just plain awful. Here are some tips that can hopefully help anyone, anytime they feel like their mental disorders are keeping them from doing their best in college.

• Get Plenty of Sleep

While school is important, so is your mental health. No matter what you have to do, make sure that your body is getting plenty of rest. Your brain cannot function properly without being well rested. If you’re tired, take a quick nap. If you can’t fall asleep, try your best to find a quiet place where your mind and body can relax. While it may be difficult, try to clear your mind and take some time to not think about school.

• Keep Track of Your Triggers and Symptoms

Know what triggers you and recognize the signs your body shows when you experience episodes of anxiety and depression. Knowing this can help you better manage or completely avoid uncomfortable and stressful situations if need be. If you notice that your body gets shaky, you experience fatigue, your heartbeat starts to increase or that you begin to breath heavily amongst other things, this is your body telling you that something is wrong. Don’t ignore your body when things like this happen. Get out of that situation as soon as possible and try to relax or seek help.

Photo Credit: Alexis Corbello

• Seek Counseling

Sometimes it’s good to have someone to talk to. Most schools offer professional counseling, but if not, try to find a professional to talk to somewhere outside of campus. They give you an outlet to vent and they can give you advice and their professional opinions about how to seek treatment if you need it.

• Keep a Journal

Writing down your feelings or even just what’s been happening in your life can really improve mental health management. This method might not work for everyone, but I encourage everyone to give it a try. Documenting your feelings can help you notice patterns and set offs. It is also a great way to keep track of your symptoms. Writing can serve as an outlet to vent frustrations when perhaps talking to someone isn’t enough or if the idea of talking to someone makes you uncomfortable.

• Seek Academic Help

If your schoolwork if overwhelming you, try to get help from your professors, classmates or maybe an on-campus tutoring service. These people are there to help you, so don’t be afraid to ask for it if you feel that you need it! This can take a big weight off of your shoulders if schoolwork is starting to become a little too much to handle.

• Prepare Yourself as Much as Possible

Try to both mentally and physically prepare yourself for the things that can make you anxious. The more you prepare for a test or presentation, the less nervous and anxious you will be when the time comes. Try to know what you are getting into ahead of time. That being said, try not to overthink and don’t stress yourself too much while preparing.

• Keep Your Friends Close

Good friends will always do their best to help you with anything they can. Your friends in college are a super important part in helping you get by. They can provide you with comfort, someone to talk to and if they know you well enough, they can help you recognize your symptoms and what situations may prompt you as well. Keep people who can understand and respect your boundaries close to you and let them help you.

• Consistently Take Your Medication

If you need to take medication, take it consistently. Set alarms or have a friend remind you, find a way to consistently take them. Your medications have a lot of control in keeping you stable. Make sure that the medications that you’re taking work for you. If you experience too many side effects, or your depression and anxiety symptoms don’t improve, talk to your psychiatrist about your prescription. It can take awhile but it is vital that you find a medication that suits your needs without inconveniencing you too much.

Some More Sources…

National Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

New Mexico Suicide Hotline: 855-662-7474

The Buddy Project: An international organization with a goal of raising suicide awareness. They pair together people with common interests so that they can support one another’s mental health.

New Mexico State University Health and Wellness Center: 575-646-1512 campus_health@nmsu.edu They are a good source that can provide medication, counseling and support groups on campus.

Written by: Nicole Liverett

Edited by: Mandy Adame

Student at NMSU, Im an anthropology major. Learning about different cultures, immersing in their traditions and learning new languages fascinates me. Im a food enthusiast, I love to travel and have an intense passion for corgis.