Wellness

The College Student’s Take on Living a Healthy Lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

My biggest thing since coming back to college this year was prioritizing my health. This balance can be VERY tricky to get into a routine of- but don’t worry, I’m here to help!

I found that this summer, running was an incredible outlet to get into. Running not only is good for staying in shape but also for your mental health. It helped me clear my head while keeping my body in check. Running strengthens muscles, improves cardiovascular fitness, and can improve heart health and the immune system. It also can help the body better cope with anxiety and depression.

Besides physical exercise, it is important to nourish the body. Eating healthy is so important during college because sometimes it is hard to balance the stress and on-the-go lifestyle this experience entails. It can be hard to find good options that are healthy on a college campus, but my on-the-go staples include protein bars, mixed nuts, dried or fresh fruit, and popcorn. When it comes to dining halls, checking your school’s menu for the day is a great way to plan your meals ahead and see if there are balanced options being provided for the day.

Going out is another subject to touch on while trying to stay healthy but also trying to keep up with the atmosphere and social life that college provides. Whenever I go out, I like to bring water or a Diet Coke with me to drink to stay hydrated. Another thing I recommend is to bring a snack so you can stay nourished and help curb cravings like fast food after a night out.

Water, water, water. I cannot say this enough. Drinking water is crucial in college. I bring my water bottle with me everywhere on campus to help me stay hydrated and full. Drinking water significantly affects energy levels and brain function, prevents headaches, aids digestion, and clears the skin. It is crucial to drink enough water in a day to help with health.

The biggest takeaway I can give you once you read this article is that your health matters in college! Mental and physical health intertwine with one another so prioritize them both. It can be hard to keep up with everything in the atmosphere of college, but don’t fret! Establishing routines can help you stay happy and healthy during your college years.

Hey y'all, my name is Jett Taylor! I am enrolled at North Carolina State University earning a degree in Fashion Textile Management and Marketing with a concentration in Fashion Development and Product Management. I am also minoring in Journalism. I love all things fashion and pop culture! Stay tuned for my articles!