This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Affirmations are getting quite the buzz on social media right now, but what exactly are they? 

Affirmations are short, self-empowering statements that help uplift your thoughts. As human beings, the worst outcome is often the first thing that comes to our minds. Affirmations are positive thoughts stated as a truth. 

When you repeat these positive declarations to yourself, you are overpowering those naturally negative thoughts in your mind. 

Where I don’t believe in those TikTok affirmations that claim to make your crush fall in love with you or help you get an A on your next test, I do believe affirmations can help shift your mindset. By thinking positive thoughts, you become a brighter, more optimistic person. When you become more positive, you will attract happy and hopeful people into your life. 

Think of Abileen Clark from “The Help” telling little Mae Mobly, “You is kind, you is smart, you is important.” These are the kind of affirmations you need to be telling yourself! 

I like to keep my affirmations pretty general. One I use whether I am on a run or in the middle of a stressful school project is: “I’m going to finish, and I’m going to finish strong.” These words help me keep the end goal in mind and continue to give my full effort even when I get tired. 

It doesn’t have to be complicated. Choose a statement that is meaningful to you and tattoo it on your brain! Focus on those words, and let them inspire you to be your happiest self.

Julia Cwiklowski

Murray State '21

Julia Cwiklowski is a senior studying Advertising and Marketing at Murray State University. When she isn't studying, you can find her working out, listening to podcasts, or curled up with a good book. Julia loves to cook, go on hikes and hang with her friends. After graduation, Julia hopes to work as a project manager at an advertising agency.