This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

New Year resolutions. Every year, we each decide on one big goal for the upcoming year. New year, new you, right? Except about a month into the New Year, our resolutions are over. We’ve given up. New year, same old you. But making resolutions for this upcoming semester might be a little less challenging. Even small, doable resolutions can change your semester for the better. Here are just a few to get you started!

1. Utilize that planner!

(image taken from LivingWell)

We all buy those super cute planners and organizers that just look irresistible on the shelf. But along with that planner, buy yourself some colored gel pens, get to work and actually use that planner! Throughout the semester, write down individual assignments, class projects and papers, everyday activities and long-term goals. And keep at it throughout the semester! Staying organized will make your life so much easier.

2. Head to the gym.

(image taken from HeartyHosting)

This is possibly one of the most stereotypical New Year resolutions. But as students, working out gives you a chance to release some energy, let go of tensions that build up with school and hectic schedules and stay in shape. Carve out some time to go the gym at least a few times a week–you won’t regret it.

3. Stay ahead–no procrastinating!

(image taken from theithacan.org)

Ah. Procrastination. Every college student’s best friend. We too often leave assignments and other tasks until the last possible second, especially if it’s a big paper or project. This semester, try to stay ahead instead of getting assignments done at 2 am the night before. Not only will you do better work, but you’ll also be less stressed in the long run.

4. Get enough sleep.

(image taken from cdc.gov)

Everyone’s different with sleep. Some people get by on 6 hours a night, while others need more like 10 to feel fully rested (that’s me for sure). It’s easy to stay up too late doing homework, hanging out with friends, or binge watching Stranger Things on Netflix. But sleep is crucial to us feeling good and doing our best. Set a bedtime for yourself on weeknights and stick to it.

5. Make some time for fun.

(image taken from feex.com)

It’s so easy to get caught up in all of the have-to’s. Have to get homework done, have to go to class, have to make that meeting. But college only lasts four years, and we need to make the most of it while we’re here! Create some fun time for yourself in your schedule this semester. You deserve it!

Sarah Stellhorn

Murray State '19

Sarah serves as an editor for Murray State's HC chapter. She is in her senior year at Murray State University, studying English and History Education. On campus, she's involved in her sorority, the Honors College, and several professional organizations, and she enjoys representing the college as Ms. Murray State University. She loves Jesus, coffee, and her dog Sadie, and in her (rare) free time she can usually be found curled up with headphones and a good book.