nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

More Than Clothes: Fashion Is My Therapy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

College is hard and we should all give each other credit for making our way through each day. We all have some days that are harder than others. It may be that you just failed that test that you spent hours upon hours studying for. Or maybe he just broke up with you. Or maybe something is weighing on your mental health. We have all been there. I have been there. My own therapy is personal expression, specifically through the clothes I wear. I really enjoy expressing myself, or showing my style off. Some people say an outfit is what you are feeling. I do agree that this statement can be true, but I believe that you can take the negativity you are feeling and make it positive with a little bit of fashion on your side

I am one of those people that seems like I have it all together. I don’t. Not even close. However, my worst days have been my best outfit days.

When you feel anxious, depressed, or just generally stressed, I suggest that you wear something that makes you feel good. I am not saying everyone has to wear an outfit out of a magazine, but, in my opinion, just putting on a well-thought out look instead of sweatpants and a baggy t-shirt can work wonders. It has the potential to make you feel better, more free, and happier. Taking the time to feel good on the outside can help you feel good on the inside. Don’t feel guilty for showing off a little. 

Sometimes we get lost in our friend groups, sports teams, sororities, fraternities, and we forget who we are individually. This is why developing my own style has been important to me. Creating a style that is specific to you can be really therapeutic. On those days when I really don’t feel like myself, I know that I can walk in my closet and see that pair of jeans and I know that it will pair well with that shirt. I know that, when I leave my dorm room, I can do it with my head held high. You don’t have to follow all the latest trends and styles to be yourself through clothing; Express yourself in a way that shows the world who you are and makes you feel good at the same time. I promise you won’t regret it.

My name is Alison and I currently go to Muhlenberg College. I study Theatre but also have an eye for fashion. My style is a huge part of who I am. I not only express myself on stage, but express myself with the my wardrobe. Owning your own style and vibe is important. Writing for HerCampus is also a privilege for me because now I can write about fashion, give advice, and encourage my readers to own who they are with the clothes they wear. I also keep people updated on my outfits and what i wear that gets me through college! I encourage people to follow me on my instgram almaybaum_ and my Visco!
I'm Darling, I'm 21 years old and I go to Muhlenberg College. I am a double major in Public Health and French.