samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Get Through the Mid-Semester Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Midterm season has arrived and if one thing’s for sure, it’s literally the shittiest time of the year. Not just because of all the exams and papers you have, but because unlike finals where you no longer have classes, you still have to show up to every one of your classes throughout the week. Then, you also realize that you have another second half of the semester’s work. As hard and frustrating as this time is, there are a few things to keep in mind.

First and foremost, organization is key to keeping your mind focused. The second you fall back on work and become disorganized is the moment that you lose motivation to get through the hump of midterms. Prioritize what work needs to be done each day and keep your materials organized; clutter-free space, clutter-free mind. Make notes to remind yourself of major dates for assignments and exams. You can even set alarms or notifications on when you need to start working on an assignment.

While being organized is ideal, it doesn’t mean you won’t get stressed out. Take breaks throughout the day to keep your cool so that you don’t overwhelm yourself. A little stress is good, and I think only one mental breakdown is acceptable, but not multiple. Don’t stress yourself out by trying to study when your mind is tired. If you’re exhausting yourself, your work will not be effective, and you will most likely make careless mistakes that you wouldn’t otherwise make if you were well-rested. Sleep is also very important! Take naps throughout the day if you have the time, or make sure that you go to bed at a decent time.

Take midterms time day by day. Avoid overwhelming yourself, and always prioritize your mental health. That means eating right, sleeping at night, and creating a proper balance between work and relaxing. Once you get through the hump you’ll feel so relieved, and you can go treat yourself after you ace all your assignments!

Jordyn Kamis

Muhlenberg '21

¯_(ツ)_/¯