How To Cope with Stress During College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

It can be incredibly hard to do well in classes and keep up with work in college when you are going through a difficult time emotionally. Some may advise like “don’t be stressed” or “just stay busy and you’ll be ok,” but in reality, these sentiments don’t really make you feel better. I know that when I am going through a rough patch, which can last a day or a week, it is hard for me to focus on school on top of maintaining relationships and participating in community service or clubs. When so many things are happening at once while you are trying to stay level-headed, it can be overwhelming and tricky to get past. But, there are ways to make these hard times easier to cope with. 

The first step is to not be as hard on yourself for having bad days, everyone goes through these moments, and it is important to keep that in mind. College is a very stressful time, and you are not alone in feeling this way! Allowing yourself to handle these things is ok; it is better to recognize the way you are feeling and addressing the issues at hand instead of ignoring them. Relying just on yourself to get through difficult and emotional times can be isolating. Expressing the way you are feeling to others, whether it is a friend, significant other, family member or therapist can make you feel a lot better; I know that bottling up my feelings can make my mental state worse. On the other hand, taking time for yourself is also essential; self-care is something that should become a priority in your life. 

A significant factor when it comes to stress and mental health is sleep; getting enough sleep each night instead of staying up to finish your work can be the best option. You can always complete your work in the morning. Having a regular sleep schedule is very beneficial in the long run. 

If school work and deadlines are adding extra stress, it is ok to take breaks to focus on yourself and your mental health. Taking small strides with work is helpful instead of doing all of it at once. Doing a little each day can make you feel less overwhelmed. If you feel comfortable with your professor, it can be helpful to email them asking for extensions on assignments. 

Ultimately, finding a good balance between work and taking time for yourself regarding mental health is definitely worth it. You will be able to do your best in school when you feel your best!