Wellness > Health

Getting Fit: Starting A Workout Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

College can be very stressful when you have classes, homework, work, meetings, and even more that you have to fit into your schedule. Maintaining a fitness routine can seem very hard to do when you have to worry about all the other aspects of college. It may seem impossible, but once you start having a fitness routine you’ll be glad you did it. Here are some tips that you could follow to start your fitness routine.

Scheduling

When trying to start a fitness routine, it is important to take some time to look at your schedule. When looking at your schedule you will be able to see what days and times you are free to go to the gym or to do some form of exercise. Every morning, I look at my schedule and also look at the Daily Bulletin. On the Daily Bulletin, they inform you when there are yoga, spin, and Zumba classes. They also show other fitness events and things going on around campus. If you have time in your schedule I would recommend attending one of these classes. It is a great way to work out while getting to meet new people. If the times don’t match up with your schedule, you can pick a time to go to the gym. When you put a specific time in your schedule to work out, it may be easier to follow it.

Trying to Eat Healthier

Eating healthier is part of having a fitness routine. Working out doesn’t affect someone fully unless they are putting good foods into their body. It can be hard to choose a healthy meal over a greasy one, but it will make you feel better in the long run. I try to dedicate at least one meal a day to something healthy. There are many different options in the dining hall that are healthy and tasty like the salad bar, kale burgers, and grilled chicken. It is also important to eat and not skip meals. I also try to schedule my meals when I know I have a busy day ahead of me.

Pinterest and Being Open to Trying New Things

Walking into a gym without knowing exactly what you want to do can be intimidating. One of the best ways to find workouts to do at the gym is by going on Pinterest. It is very easy to find workouts on Pinterest. All you have to do is look up what you want to work out and many different posts will come up. This can help you gain inspiration and provide you with a variety of workouts. You can even make a board of all the workouts you find and see which ones you like or which you want to try. Remember, you also don’t have to follow workouts exactly. You can moderate them to fit where you’re at. If you are debating whether or not to try something new at the gym, just try it! If you see someone doing something that you think you would like, there is no harm in trying it out.

Hi, my name is Veronica Pasko and I am a sophomore at Muhlenberg College. I am studying Media and Communications and also minoring in Business Administration.