This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

In my prior articles, “Who I’m Turning To: Maria Shriver” and “Who I’m Turning To: Amanda Nguyen,” I promised to write about inspiring people I turn to when I am searching for hope and seeking for light. That said, this week, I want to discuss (drum roll!) Kati Morton, a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT), with all of you! 

Kati Morton is a LMFT practicing in Santa Monica, California. There, she specializes in individuals who suffer from eating disorders and self-harm behaviors. However, though she owns a private practice, she also has a YouTube channel where she talks about all things mental health – and when I say all, I mean ALL. 

Therefore, from eating disorders, to anxiety, to depression, to self-harm, to obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), to trauma, to bipolar disorder (BPD), to general mental health tips, to self-care, to therapy advice, and to so much more, if you name it, I can assure you that she’s talked about it at least once. 

With over 1,000 YouTube videos, her private practice, and more (scroll to the bottom of the article for more resources!), Kati Morton has expanded the global mental health community, and she hopes for it to only grow further. Also, in addition to broadening her community, her goal is to de-stigmatize the conversation surrounding mental health and to push for better mental health services for all who desire them. 

So, you’re probably wondering why I’ve included a therapist in this series I’m writing, but really, the question is why wouldn’t I include a therapist in this series? 

Millions of people suffer from mental illness. Yet, though so many suffer, there is such a stigma surrounding it, and because of that, too many people refrain from getting the help they both need and deserve. Luckily, with Kati Morton, she has created an open, safe (& free!) space to talk about mental illness and overall well-being, and she helps you know that you aren’t alone in whatever it is you’re going through. Whether you’re struggling, seeking advice, or just wanting to learn more about mental health, I believe Kati is a great resource to check out. 

Additionally, my personal reason for turning to Kati Morton is because within the past year, I’ve experienced my own complications regarding food, eating, and my thoughts surrounding them. Once I discovered her channel on YouTube and saw that she basically talked about everything I could’ve asked for and more regarding my own struggles, I began watching more and more of her videos, and frankly, I couldn’t recommend her enough because she is not only honest and talks to you like a friend, but she is also exceptional at explaining complicated topics that can be difficult to understand or even make just a little sense of. 

*Just a side note: I wouldn’t recommend Kati Morton as a complete therapy replacement. Though her videos are helpful and can lead you in the right direction, I still recommend seeing a therapist yourself because this way, you can have a personal professional to help you in your specific mental health journey as well as someone you can disclose to with openness and honesty regarding your personal story. That said, if you are interested in therapy but don’t know how to start, call the phone number on the back of your insurance card and ask them to send you a list of mental health professionals in your area that are covered by your insurance company. 

Lastly, I know remembering this can be easier said than done, but you are not alone. In fact, you are worthy of all of the love and support the world has to offer. 

Kati Morton Resources: 

Book: 

Are U Ok? A Guide To Caring For Your Mental Health 

Website: 

https://www.katimorton.com 

Podcasts: 

Ask Kati Anything 

Opinions That Don’t Matter! 

* features Sean St. Louis, Morton’s husband

Social Media: 

• YouTube: Kati Morton 

• Instagram: @katimorton 

• Facebook: Kati Morton 

• Twitter: @KatiMorton 

Ellia Flejtuch is a freshman at Michigan State University studying Dietetics and Psychology. Following graduating from MSU, she hopes to be a registered dietitian and work with individuals who suffer from eating disorders as well as those who generally struggle with their relationships with food and their bodies. She also hopes to one day start her own non-profit organization. Also, outside of academics, she enjoys writing articles, cooking, baking, watching Netflix, going on jogs and nature walks, listening to music, and drinking lots of tea. xoxo