This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I’ve been vegetarian for several years now, and one of the biggest challenges I’ve had is getting enough protein. While it is absolutely possible to meet your protein requirements on a vegetarian diet, it can be difficult to get started and find new ways to incorporate plant-based protein into your diet. Here are some of my favorite ways to make sure I’m getting enough protein!

Grains

While it may seem counterintuitive, certain grains can actually be very high in protein. My personal favorite is quinoa, but farro, couscous, and even oats are other great options. I love adding a cup of quinoa whenever I’m cooking rice just to give my meal that extra boost of protein.  

Legumes

Beans and other legumes are probably the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about vegetarian protein options – and with good reason. There are so many different ways to eat them, and they can be added to almost any meal. Tofu and lentils are classics, but even just adding a handful of peas or edamame beans to whatever you’re cooking is a great way to add some protein.

Eggs

If you do eat animal products, eggs can be a great vegetarian option. Eggs can also be easily added to most dinners to give them that extra protein boost. I especially like making breakfast tacos with scrambled eggs or adding a fried egg on top of stir fry or ramen. 

These are just a few ways to add some protein to your diet while being a vegetarian. I hope you try some of these out if you’re looking for new ways to increase your overall protein intake! 

bio major at MSU. Writer, painter, and coffee enthusiast.