This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner, and themed treats are arguably one of the best parts of spooky season! From candy corn to cleverly frosted baked goods and flavored popcorn, Halloween cuisine always puts a smile on my face. Growing up with food allergies, using creative allergen substitutes while baking was one of my favorite creative outlets. My sister and I often experimented with various recipes, textures, and ingredient substitutions. Some of our kitchen experiments were successes, while others ended in rather unappealing, mushy lumps. Nonetheless, the joy I felt when sharing the delicious treats with my friends and family made it exciting.

Along the way, I have developed my appreciation for eggless, vegan recipes because they are accessible and simple. My favorite way to celebrate Halloween is baking a spongy, rich vegan chocolate cake and icing it with a spooky design. Though it is challenging to mimic the fluffy, rich texture that eggs bring in, I think that this vegan chocolate cake recipe truly takes the cake!

Ingredients

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 cups water
  • ½ cup canola oil
  • ¼ cup apple cider vinegar

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Measure and mix the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking soda) in a big bowl.
  3. Measure and mix the wet ingredients (water, canola oil, and apple cider vinegar) together in a smaller bowl.
  4. Combine the ingredients by pouring the wet ingredients into the big bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix them together, and be careful not to overmix!
  5. Grease your chosen baking tin.
  6. Pour the cake batter into your baking tin.
  7. Bake for about 30 minutes.
  8. Cool the cake for 20-30 minutes. Ice it to your liking, and enjoy it with your friends and family!

Tips

• When mixing the wet and dry ingredients, be careful not to overmix! The batter should still have bubbles in it, which will help us achieve that fluffy, light texture that we want.
  • If you want to decrease the amount of cleaning you will have to do afterward, you can add the dry ingredients to a bowl, whisk them, add in the wet ingredients one at a time, and mix as you go. This can help you save time if you’re in a time crunch.
  • When baking, 30 minutes is an estimation. Insert a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, then the cake is finished baking! If not, pop it in the oven for five more minutes and check again. Everyone’s oven is different, so this is a fail-proof way to cater to your specific oven. Happy baking!

This vegan chocolate cake recipe has saved me on so many occasions — friends’ birthdays, date nights, and, of course, Halloween! I hope you try this recipe this Halloween and enjoy it with your friends and family. I know I will!

Hi! My name is Sravani Sunkara, and I am a freshman at Michigan State University studying human biology and bioethics. In my free time, I run, bake, hammock, and volunteer as a junior EMT at my local rescue station.