This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Nowadays a lot of teenagers are getting into skincare with the increased market for it. With so many products in the beauty and skincare world, it is hard to navigate through starting your journey or expanding your current regime— it especially was for me, to say the least. I recommend doing your own research on ingredients that will work for your target concerns specifically. However, this guide will definitely help you get started or even improve your current routine.

1. Recognize your targets and skin concerns

The first step to an effective skincare routine is understanding what your target areas are. Ask yourself questions like: What am I hoping to achieve over a couple months? What is my current major concern? What is my skin type? Once you have these answers, you will be able to buy specific products targeted to these concerns.

2. Face-wash & Makeup Remover

This is by far the most crucial step. Having a cleanser to remove the buildup from your face daily is important. However, you want to make sure that it does not strip your skin away from its natural oils. Most cleansers can feel drying; a good way to tell if your cleanser is too drying is by observing if you feel a tight sensation on your face after washing it. I recommend starting off with CeraVe or Cetaphil face washes! If you wear makeup, try using an oil-based makeup remover to melt down your makeup while being gentle on the skin! My favourite is the Inkey List Oat Cleansing Balm.

3. Toner

While toner isn’t necessarily needed in your routine, it can definitely help and it adds a little something to balance the pH of your face. Some toners can hydrate, treat blemishes, and other skin concerns. For blemish concerns I recommend trying the Ordinary Glycolic Acid Toner and for a simple hydrating toner, I enjoy the Kylie Skin Milk Toner.

4. Serum

Serums can help concentrate their work on areas that you are struggling with. The staple is niacinamide. Niacinamide is a super easy to work with and staple serum that has a lot of benefits from blemish control, texture, and hydration. Other serums for hyperpigmentation, puffiness, wrinkles, etc. are available; look for certain ingredients in serums that will target your concerns. Some brand to start with are then Ordinary and Good Molecules.

5. Moisturiser

This is the second most important step. Rehydration is super important to keep your skin from drying or becoming too oily. It is a crucial step and it should be used daily. My favourite face moisturisers are ones from CeraVe and Cetaphil. The ordinary moisturiser is also a nice thin one when your skin doesn’t need a thick moisturiser.

6. Lip mask

This one is pretty much self explanatory but is most neglected. I am guilty of this. Without using this, especially during winters, my lips become extremely chapped. My favourite lip products are the Burt’s Bees Rescue Balm and the Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask.

Bhavya is the Head Director of Social Media for MSU's chapter of Her Campus. She is a junior majoring in Microbiology with a minor in Environment and Health/Bioethics. Her writing interests include: lifestyle, beauty, health, and wellness.