Senioritis Kicking In? Options for After Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As a current senior, the post-graduation stress is already weighing on my mental health. With friends moving across the country or taking a gap-year, it can be hard to determine what the best path is for you. Students often feel pressured to do what everyone else is doing, which can lead to more difficulties. While senior year is all about finding the next direction after college, it’s important to not forget to have a little fun along the way. Read below to look at a couple different options for after college!

Graduate School

Many students after graduating start the grad-school process for either their master’s or PhD. This option allows students to continue their passion for their selected topic of interest while working towards a higher education. Are you interested in more schooling? Will it be beneficial for your future career? Ask yourself these questions to determine if graduate school is a smart option for your future. Of course, graduate school isn’t for everyone. Be realistic about costs, housing, and if the program fits into your career path!

Gap Year

It’s common for students to take a gap year after completing their 4-year degree for traveling, mental health, and other purposes! Understand that this option is OK! The stereotype surrounding gap years being “unbeneficial” and “unproductive” is only what you make it to be. Doing what’s best for you is the best decision you can make.

Workplace

After finishing college, the majority of students are entering the workplace. This can be a beneficial way to make money while figuring out if this is the career path you want to go down. Working in the workplace can also help you meet new people while giving you the upper hand to new opportunities! While still in college, take advantage of all the resources your college supplies regarding post-graduation careers.

Internships

Starting an internship post-graduation can be another step towards the direction you want to follow. Interning after college can supply you with great tools for the real world and introduce you to new people who can help you get there. While still in college, look for internships you’re interested in and apply!

Networking

Don’t feel unaccomplished if you are still undecided on what to do after college. Another common path for college students to pursue is networking. Spend some time researching what you’re interested in. Apply yourself to what interests you and connect with others. You never know who you could meet!

Entrepreneurship

In today’s world, it’s very common for recent graduates to start building their own brand and working for themselves. This path could lead you to new opportunities with other business partners and allow you to be creative. If you choose to follow this path, stay on top of your schedule and focus on what you want people to be interested in!

Realize it’s ok if you don’t know what you want to do after college. There are so many paths to go down (even more than the ones listed)! All in all, you have to do what is best for you!

Chloe West is a Junior at Michigan State University studying journalism and public relations. She writes for VIM Magazine, the Spartan Newsroom and Her Campus MSU.