This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Finals are the worst time of the semester. We are literally drowning in a heap of papers, exams, and last-minute cram sessions. My finals week experience is generally characterized by at least one meltdown each day, binge-watching a show that I don’t have time for and drinking coffee at all hours of the day. To stay organized, I make to-do lists for each day. Something that I always include is a self-care assignment. These are tiny things I do for myself to stay sane during the most stressful part of the semester. Here are some self-care assignments for all of you to try and stay relaxed this finals week.

Do a face mask

Head to any nearby Target, Meijer or drug store and pick up a couple of face masks. Most of them only stay on for about 20 minutes, so kick back and relax while a soothing lavender mud mask helps all your troubles drift away. 

Paint your nails 

Anyone who knows me is well-aware that my nails are almost always painted. I wish I could say it’s because I’m put together, but it’s actually because this is my go-to stress reliever. Painting your nails gives you at least one hour of quiet time where you don’t need to think about how long your research paper needs to be or what this semester is going to do to your GPA. Not only do you get to spend some time treating yourself, but your nails will look great for the rest of finals week.

Watch a movie

Pick your favorite movie, or a cheesy holiday movie on Netflix, and put your feet up for a couple of hours. Enjoying watching someone else’s drama for awhile before getting back to your studies. It may feel like you don’t have two hours to set aside to watch anything but, trust me, you do. Your mind will thank you for it.

Take a bath

Baths are a good idea for any occasion when you’re feeling a little overwhelmed. Drop a seasonal bath bomb into the tub and enjoy a nice long soak. You deserve it.

Go shopping

Retail therapy is one of my favorite types of self-care. I love to shop (I’m a sucker for a good pair of fuzzy socks) and it can feel so nice to spend a few dollars on yourself during a stressful time. Even if all you do is add things to a cart, that’s great! Dedicate some time to focusing on what you want, rather than what you need to be working on.

When you start to feel stretched too thin during finals, remember that your mental health is more important than any single grade. Be sure to take care of yourself this finals season. You can do this!

Taylor is an alumnus of Michigan State University's James Madison College and Honors college, holding a Bachelor of Arts in Social Relations and Policy and a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. She formerly served as the Editor-in-Chief and co-Campus Correspondent of MSU's chapter. She works in Lansing She's passionate about women's rights, smashing the patriarchy, and adding to her fuzzy sock collection.