This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I have heard countless times that laughter is the best medicine, but so is a smile; smiling to yourself, smiling at strangers, smiling at friends or family. Smiling is easy because the only thing that you have to remember is that you should always smile for yourself. Unfortunately, I feel like I have forgotten how. Especially now, it can be difficult to remember the last time that we genuinely smiled, or what we can smile about, so to remind me, and to remind you, I challenged myself to make a list of twenty things that have made me smile in the past. If smiling is not something that you can do right now or not something that you want to do right now, I see you, I hear you and I hope that you save this article for another time.

20 Things That Have Made Me Smile:

1. Sunny days

2. Clean sheets

3. Finding a good book

4. Butterflies

5. Warm showers

6. Funny videos of animals

7. Finding shapes in clouds

8. Good hair days

9. Waking up feeling cozy and warm

10. Watching your favorite movie

11. Waves lightly falling on a beach

12. Sitting on your porch wrapped in blankets

13. Dancing in your room

14. Singing in the shower

15. Writing a letter

16. Finding interesting facts

17. Seeing an old friend

18. Receiving a thank you from someone

19. The smell of freshly baked goods

20. Wearing your favorite clothes

I encourage you to build on this list and to agree or disagree, but most importantly, to remember this: a smile is small, but it has a major impact. For those of you who need a reminder or a confirmation, your smile is beautiful and needed, and so are you.

Meghan is an Elementary Education & English major at Michigan State University who hopes to teach English abroad, as well as write and publish children's books. In her free time, Meghan loves to read, watch her favorite TV show, Will & Grace, and find new ways to be more sustainable.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.