Life > Academics

Productive Ways I’m Spending My Time as a Part-Time Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I have always had a full class schedule, usually taking six classes at a time, but this semester was different. As a part-time student during my final semester at Michigan State University, I was searching for ways to productively occupy my time. Being in a state I’m not from with no car may seem to limit my options, but there are actually many different options that don’t involve going far. Here are a few different ways to be productive when you have extra time!

Volunteering 

One of the major ways I’ve been passing time lately is by volunteering. I’ve discovered there are a lot of opportunities in the Greater Lansing area. Volunteering is wonderful since it helps you feel good while bettering the community. Also, I have met a lot of really amazing people who have shared stories and given me recommendations about more things to do around Michigan. 

Exercising 

When doing school full time, having enough time and energy to exercise can be difficult. However, now that I have more time and flexibility in my schedule, I can make it more of a priority. Michigan State, and many other universities, offer free classes to students which are worth taking advantage of!  

Reading

As a child I was constantly reading, then as I got older I put my books down and prioritized other activities. Now that I have more time, I have been trying to get back into reading. There are many benefits to reading, and it’s something that helps me decompress. Recently I’ve been reading Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer in preparation for the talk she’ll be giving at the MSU Science Festival

Learning Another Language 

A goal of mine has always been to become fluent in Spanish. Last semester, I took a Spanish course to refresh my formal knowledge when it comes to that. Currently, I’ve been reading books in Spanish as well as listening to music and podcasts. I’ve found walking while listening to Coffee Break Spanish is a great way to integrate Spanish into my day. I’ve also found watching television in Spanish or at least with Spanish subtitles helps me learn more conversationally. Some of my favorite telenovelas are ‘Silvana Sin Lana’ and ‘Yo Soy Betty, la Fea’ (Ugly Betty is based on this). 

Online Courses

Along with practicing my Spanish, I’ve been trying to become more well-rounded in other aspects of my education. Personally, I’ve always loved Khan Academy and the wide variety of self-paced courses they offer. There are also many different certificates you can earn online using various platforms like LinkedIn Learning Certificates or Cisco Networking Academy

Hobbies

I love to craft! Currently, I am working on some Valentine’s Day decorations for my apartment. A couple of years ago, I got a Cricut Maker 3, so I’d be able to craft more and expand what I could create. However, I didn’t have much time to use it until now. Even though crafting might not be your forte, find a hobby you enjoy and can allow you to relax!

I started off the semester lost when it came to creating a schedule, but I’ve come to realize that the flexibility I now have comes with great benefits. There are many ways to productively fill time like volunteering, exercising, reading, learning a new language, taking online courses, and finding hobbies. All of these have become integral parts of my routine, fostering personal growth, connection with my community, and an outlet to decompress. Creating a better schedule for myself instead of watching time go by has allowed me to gain a sense of purpose. I encourage you to find what brings you satisfaction and find the time for it too!

Leah Lindemeyer was formerly the Community Outreach Director and an editor for Her Campus as MSU. She helped HCMSU remain active in the community and give back to East Lansing. Lindemeyer graduated from Michigan State University in spring of 2024 with a bachelor's degree in communication and minors in media photography, public relations, and global studies. After graduation, she will go to Ohio State for her Master's in communication. Lindemeyer wrote and edited for her high school's journalism program for all four years she attended. For her work, she earned the James L. McCann "Excellence in Journalism" Award two years in a row. In her free time, Lindemeyer enjoys water skiing, traveling, watching romantic comedies, and taking photos.