Be the Change: Volunteer Opportunities in Greater Lansing

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Volunteering has always been my favorite way of making a positive impact. I enjoy engaging with and assisting people, so I sought out volunteer opportunities in the Greater Lansing area! There are volunteer opportunities for all ages and abilities, but here are a few that I’ve enjoyed or have heard about from fellow students. 

Wharton Center for Performing Arts

The Wharton Center for Performing Arts is located on Michigan State University’s campus and hosts many performances from Broadway, to local theater shows, to concerts. There are many ways to get involved at Wharton, including children’s education programs, fundraising, and ushering. An added bonus is that some of the opportunities allow you to watch the performances for free after volunteering! 

Constellation Cat Cafe

If you’re a cat lover, then this is the volunteer opportunity for you! After completing volunteer training, you are able to help with various tasks in the cat room that help keep everything running smoothly. 

Haven House

Haven House strives to guide and support families facing homelessness. There are many different opportunities for both individuals and groups. You can shop for food and supplies, lead activities, work on marketing, or even cook! 

Allen Neighborhood Center

The home of various programs meant to serve and improve the Lansing Eastside, the Allen Neighborhood Center welcomes volunteers to help with various programs like the Hunter Park Garden House, Youth Service Corps, Breadbasket, Allen Farmers Market and senior Discovery Group. Personally, I recently started volunteering to help with Breadbasket, which is a meaningful and simple way to give back to the community by providing food to those who need it. 

Greater Lansing Food Bank

Leading the fight against hunger in mid-Michigan is the Greater Lansing Food Bank. One opportunity is working in the warehouse, sorting and organizing the food. The Garden Project is another undertaking that has seasonal opportunities. Within the community, there are also other opportunities run through the Greater Lansing Food Bank. 

Tender Heart Gardens

One garden registered with the Greater Lansing Food Bank’s Garden Project is the Tender Heart Gardens. If you have a green thumb, this is a wonderful chance to use it to make a difference. A lot of plants grown at Tender Heart Gardens have medicinal uses and are made into herbal medicines like soothing salve or cold care tea. Furthermore, a portion of their sales goes towards local organizations serving marginalized communities!

Farmers Markets

Various farmers markets can be found in the Greater Lansing Area. As previously mentioned, one is the Allen Farmers Market on Wednesdays, which runs year-round! The East Lansing Farmers Market, which runs from June through October, is a nice way to get some fresh air on a Sunday. There’s also other farmers markets in the area that provide fresh produce and bring the community together. 

I highly recommend dedicating time to serve your community, either in these ways or through opportunities you find on your own. Volunteering is not only a meaningful way to spend your time, but also an avenue to hear diverse stories and acquire new skills. For MSU Students, the MSU Center for Community Engaged Learning or City of East Lansing website are valuable resources for finding current opportunities. Now go sign up to make a difference and be the change!

Leah Lindemeyer was formerly the Community Outreach Director and an editor for Her Campus as MSU. She helped HCMSU remain active in the community and give back to East Lansing. Lindemeyer graduated from Michigan State University in spring of 2024 with a bachelor's degree in communication and minors in media photography, public relations, and global studies. After graduation, she will go to Ohio State for her Master's in communication. Lindemeyer wrote and edited for her high school's journalism program for all four years she attended. For her work, she earned the James L. McCann "Excellence in Journalism" Award two years in a row. In her free time, Lindemeyer enjoys water skiing, traveling, watching romantic comedies, and taking photos.