This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Some days of quarantine are better than others. Some are just downright awful. Some days, I wake up so irritated and bored and lonely and anxious that I just don’t know what to do with myself. If today is one of those days for you, then this pep talk is for you. 

First, be patient with yourself. Please remind yourself that these are very unusual times, and anything you’re feeling is valid. You don’t have to be your best, most productive and optimistic self every single day. Because you know what? That’s exhausting. Some days of quarantine are going to be lazy, Netflix-and-napping kind of days, and that’s okay. Be proud of your small accomplishments, even if it’s just changing out of your pajamas into different pajamas. 

Speaking of which, have you changed out of your pajamas yet today? That’s a great place to start. Then, maybe jump in the shower and wash off all of your worries and irritations. Play your favorite music way too loud, open the window and breathe some fresh air. Water the plants, walk the dog, check your email — do what you gotta do. Then go make yourself a cup of tea. You deserve it.

Quarantine kind of sucks. There is no way around that. But you know what doesn’t suck? You. You’re awesome. And you’re going to survive this with all of your sanity still intact. Remember, you’re on the same team as yourself, so you have to be a good team member. It’s important to know when to be self-indulgent and when to kick yourself in the ass — both are essential actions of self-love. Today is your day, and you can decide how you want to spend it. 

Stay safe, wash your hands, and keep calm. We will survive this together.

Hannah is studying English Creative Writing at Michigan State University. She is passionate about art, poetry, good food, and working toward a sustainabile future.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.