This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

2021 was a year of a lot of new music, especially for me. There are a few artists who’ve had my heart since my early teen years but I also explored a lot of different genres and artists this year. Despite the exploration of new music, my Spotify Wrapped was still a bit targeted, and to give you clue, my audio aura was described as ‘angst.’ Thanks Spotify.

Let’s get this started with the best (and also possibly the worst) part of my entire Spotify Wrapped: My top played song for the entire year… ‘Welcome to the Black Parade’ by My Chemical Romance, coming in at a strong 112 plays this year.

I am shocked to say the least, but I did joke about regressing to my middle school and highschool self throughout the entirety of quarantine so that is a strong indicator of how my life has been lately. I’m not disappointed though, it truly was never a phase.

Going off of that, my #2 song was ‘Wake Up’ by Black Veil Brides and I only started listening to them this year thanks to that song. I’m starting to see a pattern here. Numbers three-five were, respectfully, ‘Slumber Party’ by Ashnikko and Princess Nokia, ‘Victorious’ by Panic! At The Disco, and ‘my ex’s bestfriend’ by Machine Gun Kelly and blackbear. Still following the pattern with one outlier, but I’m not surprised. I started listening to Ashnikko over the summer and whenever someone asks for new music I recommend her first, I absolutely love her.

I am surprised to not see any All Time Low or BTS songs on that list this year as All Time Low always dominates my Wrapped and BTS had a strong hold over it in the previous year.

Moving on to my top artist, it has remained the same since I first got Spotify when I was 13 or 14, my favorite band since middle school, All Time Low. I was in the top 0.5% of listeners this year and I’m usually higher up but, as noted, none of my top songs were by them and I also didn’t use Spotify as much this year because when I’m home I usually just use Youtube on the TV.

My top song from them was ‘Lost In Stereo’ which absolutely owns my heart and soul. I love that song like no other. ‘PMA’ did have a strong hold on me too this year but it came out kind of late in regards to the stats for Wrapped.

Out of 438 Artists, my second-fifth most listened to were: Panic! At The Disco, Ashnikko, My Chemical Romance, and Black Veil Brides. With my top genre being PopPunk, what a year. I am surprised to see that Grayscale wasn’t on the list, but it might be because I didn’t start listening them until September after seeing them live at Sad Summer Fest where I fell in love and even got tickets to see them on the Umbra tour. A little surprised that BTS wasn’t up there either, but I think it’s just because I typically listen to them on Youtube.

Another fun note, Rhianna was the artist that appeared the most on my playlists for this year.

I thoroughly enjoy viewing everyone’s Spotify Wrapped at this time of year and I know that I personally got a kick out of mine, it is straight facts supporting my regression. #MakeAmericaEmoAgain

Kaytlyn is a Senior at MSU majoring in Marketing and minoring in Creative Writing. She has been a published journalist and writer for over six years. Kaytlyn is currently the Chapter President and Campus Correspondent for HCMSU as well as being involved in the Campus Trendsetters program, College Fashionista program, and the HCM Internship Credit program. Outside of Her Campus, Kaytlyn has two cats, Leo and Zelda, as well as a ferret named Willow. She is also the President, Marketing Director, and a co-founder of the Creative Writing Club at MSU. She is also a cheer coach.