Wellness > Mental Health

My “Ins and Outs” List for 2024

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As the new year begins, I am no longer making a list of resolutions that I never end up accomplishing. I, along with many other people on the internet, decided to make an “ins and outs” list to describe what to include and exclude in my life this year in order to be the best possible version of myself. Here is my personal “ins and outs” list; feel free to use it as an inspiration for your own as we enter the rest of 2024.

In: Appreciating the small things in life

This year, I want to work on taking the time to focus on the present moment and appreciate all of the little things in life. Whether it be the coziness of my favorite blanket or the beauty of the sunset every night, I try to reflect on at least one aspect of the world that I am thankful for every day. This practice allows me to express gratitude for the life I have, and will hopefully help lessen my anxiety in 2024. 

Out: Stressing out about the future

For college students, thinking about the future is pretty much a universal experience. I am constantly worrying about what I want to do for the rest of my life and trying to figure everything out, even when I can’t. In 2024, I am focusing on living life day by day and not stressing over what could or could not happen in my future. Everything happens for a reason, and worrying won’t help me achieve my goals. 

In: Spending time outdoors

I will admit it, I spend a lot of time indoors. However, in 2024 I am making a conscious effort to spend more time outside (and my walks to class don’t count). Whether I go for a short walk on a trail while listening to music or hammock with my friends when the weather is nice, it is my goal to get outdoors every day. Not only do I want to spend time outside, but I also want to appreciate nature and be grateful for the beautiful environment around me. 

Out: Eating fast food every week

I think a lot of college students will agree that sometimes dining hall food just does not sound good. Unfortunately, I have often looked at the menu and decided to go to the McDonalds or Chipotle near campus instead. It got to the point where I was buying food at least one night a week, even when I had plenty of available options at the dining hall (which I am already paying for). This year, eating fast food every week is on my “outs” list. Although I cannot exclude fast food from my life altogether, I am cutting down on my consumption in order to be healthier and save some money. 

In: Journaling

This is a more specific practice I am going to implement in my life this year. As I was scrolling through TikTok, I came across a lot of videos about bullet journaling and its benefits. So, I went to Walmart and bought myself a journal that I am going to try to add to every day. Writing my thoughts down has always been very helpful for me to stay organized, and it is a great practice for those who struggle with anxiety. Journaling can be a great way to express creativity and to unwind at the end of the day, which is why I am including it in my “ins” list for 2024.

Out: Being on my phone for six hours a day

Unfortunately, I am addicted to my phone. I do not remember the last time my screen time was less than six hours per day. In 2024, I want to spend less time on my phone and be more present in my life. I will try to make a conscious effort to pick up a book instead of my phone when I have some down time, or maybe start a new hobby rather than scrolling through Instagram a hundred times a day.

This is only a small portion of my “ins and outs” list for 2024. Setting goals to be more present, focusing on mental health, and practicing healthy habits can be beneficial to anyone, and I hope my list inspires you to make your own.

Peyton Skiver is a writer, editor, and E-board member of Her Campus at Michigan State University. She writes articles to be published on the Her Campus site and designs content for the HCMSU social media pages. Skiver is a second year student at MSU studying journalism with a minor in sports journalism. Outside of class, she is a reporter for the Spartan Sports Report and a member of the Association of Women in Sports Media (AWSM). Skiver has a passion for photography, writing, and media design. In her free time, she loves to read, listen to music, and binge watch new TV shows.