This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Being mentally healthy is just as important as being physically healthy. Maintaining your mental health is important because it affects your overall well being. However, it is not an easy task to maintain it. Personally, the past year or so has been especially draining on my mental health. Here are a few ways I am able to maintain my mental health.

Create Lists

It can become overwhelming when you have many tasks to accomplish. By creating a list, you’re able to break them down. Furthermore, the completion of each step provides a sense of accomplishment.

Go On An Adventure

Creating a routine is helpful in establishing habits and staying on task. That being said, sometimes you need to take a break from your daily routine. Sometimes a routine can feel monotonous and you need to refresh it. An adventure can be anything from visiting a new place to trying out a new activity.

Talk It Out

Internalizing your emotions can lead to a negative mindset. Saying how you feel out loud helps you to understand and cope with your emotions. Having a friend that you can vent to and who will support you is even better. When expressing yourself, it’s important to focus on the positives as well as the negatives.

Exercise

When you exercise, your body releases endorphins which can help you feel better. This is one of the reasons why exercising is a great way to relieve stress. It also helps your physical health, which goes hand in hand with your mental health.

Sleep

I used to put sleep low on my priority list but I’ve discovered that getting enough sleep makes a big impact. Sleep has a huge effect on your energy and mental health. Having a consistent sleep schedule and getting enough sleep is vital.

At the end of the day, you are in charge of your choices and attitude. You have the ability to find what works best for you. Everyone struggles at times with their mental health, which is why it’s important to find ways to maintain it.

Leah Lindemeyer was formerly the Community Outreach Director and an editor for Her Campus as MSU. She helped HCMSU remain active in the community and give back to East Lansing. Lindemeyer graduated from Michigan State University in spring of 2024 with a bachelor's degree in communication and minors in media photography, public relations, and global studies. After graduation, she will go to Ohio State for her Master's in communication. Lindemeyer wrote and edited for her high school's journalism program for all four years she attended. For her work, she earned the James L. McCann "Excellence in Journalism" Award two years in a row. In her free time, Lindemeyer enjoys water skiing, traveling, watching romantic comedies, and taking photos.