This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

These past few days I have experienced a bunch of emotions, and not a single one of them is good. For today’s article, I have decided to just let it all out and hopefully, at the end, I feel better. Most of y’all will probably think I’m a selfish b*tch, but I just need to vent or I don’t know what will happen.

Last Wednesday they announced that classes were going to go online due to COVID-19. At first I was excited, but that feeling lasted about 2 minutes max. It all hit me at once that the second semester of my junior year has come to an end almost 2 months earlier than expected. This meant saying good-bye to my graduating friends 2 months earlier. Saying good-bye to Saint Paddy’s and not being able to see the campus in spring with all the flowers blooming. Then March Madness was canceled which meant I will never see Cassius Winston, Kyle Ahrens, and Connor George play for the green and white ever again. Everyone started to leave campus and go home, so I spent Wednesday through Sunday saying good-bye — some of them were goodbyes forever and some I will not see in almost half a year. Then my study abroad was canceled. That was my only plan for this summer since no one is going to hire me — especially with the recession we’re about to face — and the only good thing that I was looking forward to. This all meant I would have to go home for a total of six months. And if I’m honest with you guys, things at home aren’t the best right now, so that was the last thing I wanted to do. It just seemed like everything kept on getting worse and worse, and I had an extreme wave of overwhelming sadness come over me.

I understand why everything is happening, I am not dumb. I get that it’s a national crisis. It’s spreading super fast and we have never experienced something like this. I GET IT! I UNDERSTAND IT! I’M NOT STUPID!!! Of course, I know why everything is happening. I just wish people would take this matter seriously. There are only two extremes: a lot of people are going out to the bars and not giving a single f*ck and then there are the people panicking and buying toilet paper in bulk for some reason? When I read that we had a shortage of toilet paper I was frustrated and mad at how dumb people are. There’s a middle point, where I’m at, which is not panicking but also taking precautions. I don’t really leave my apartment unless it’s an absolute necessity — like going to the gym because if I don’t go to the gym I will actually go insane — and taking precautions when I do: wiping all the machines before and after I use them, washing my hands constantly, and avoiding touching my face, eyes, nose, and mouth. 

Lastly, I’ve been feeling worthless. Like I said, I don’t have anything lined up for this summer. The only thing I was looking forward to was studying abroad. I also feel like I should be more focused on school and working a lot harder for online school. I also work online too and I feel like I should be more focused on that as well, EVEN THOUGH WE’RE IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC CRISIS. 

I know this is really selfish, but I just had to get it off my chest. I hope this all gets under control soon. Please everyone: stay safe, and I hope neither you nor any of your loved ones are affected by any of this. Take as many precautions as possible and try to stop the spread. 

Maria graduated in 2021 with a major in Marketing and a minor in Sports Management. She was born in Barcelona, Spain, and enjoyed writting all types of content, from fun, non-political articles to sports blogs to articles discussing very critical issues. In the future, she hopes to be involved in the business aspect of a sports organization such as the NHL or La Liga.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.