Kyla Chamberlain Selfie
Kyla Chamberlain Selfie
Photo by Kyla Chamberlain

Kyla Chamberlain, 2023

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Kyla Chamberlain is a junior in MSU’s College of Arts and Letters. Originally from Perry, MI, Kyla initially moved out of state for college, and then returned to Michigan to pursue a degree in Professional and Public Writing (P2W) and a minor in Public Relations. 

What brought you on your college journey? Was it a person, a dream, a goal, or an expectation? Why MSU specifically?

Since I’m from the area and spent a lot of my free time exploring MSU’s campus, I initially wanted a change of scenery. Naturally, I moved 800 miles away for college. I went to the University of Alabama my first year, where I was undecided on my major. Then, I transferred to MSU as a business major (out-of-state tuition was not worth it, and MSU offered me academic scholarships; Alabama didn’t). 

My business classes lacked the detail and creativity of writing, so I finally settled into this writing major with a minor in PR. Writing was always my favorite part of school, but lots of people in my life were telling me that I wouldn’t make a living off of it. (They were wrong.) I’m happy with this major. I love my classes, my professors, my internship—all of it. I know this is the right field for me.

What leadership positions have you held/hold that shaped your personal growth?

My personal growth started developing the most in high school when I held various leadership positions. I was on the drumline and in band for all of middle and high school. My main focus was on music, and I worked hard to become section leader and drum captain before I was a senior. This put me in charge of people older than me, which came with some backlash. I learned how to manage chaos and handle difficult situations while working under pressure. 

I also founded and was the president of the American Sign Language Club at my school, so that offered me the opportunity to organize meetings. Since I was involved in a lot of activities at school, I was awarded The DAR Good Citizens Award, which motivated me to keep up the good work and keep challenging myself. At MSU, I often assume the role of the coordinator during group projects. My leadership experience shaped me as a student and as a writer, so I draw from my past experiences to help maneuver new situations. 

What are your career goals/where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Since I transferred into my major one year ago, I still feel new to the field. I think it would be a great experience to be an editor for several years, and eventually I want to try to be a content writer somewhere. After that, more doors would open up for me to reach more career options, like being a content strategist. So, in 5 years, I want to be an editor somewhere. I also want to move out of Michigan, preferably to a large city. 

What was the most important thing you learned over your college journey so far?

In college, I learned that you should never drop your dreams to chase a paycheck. I almost did that when I was settling for a business major, but I was unhappy and it wasn’t worth it. Ten years down the road, if I was sitting in a cubicle crunching numbers every day, I would be miserable. I’m glad I’m pursuing something I’m passionate about. 

Also, the most important part of college that I discovered is that fostering friendships isn’t as simple as it was in high school. It was easy when everyone was 16 and spent all day in the same classes together. Proximity makes friendship easier. In college, I learned that it takes a lot of effort–on both sides–to maintain lasting friendships. (Especially long distance.) You have to make time for people you care about, and that can be hard if you have a busy schedule. 

Any words of inspiration?

If you make rigid plans for your life, you might end up disappointed when they don’t go the way you planned. Change can be scary, but it isn’t always bad. Try to be open to change while still holding true to your values.

Hi! My name is C, I'm originally from Oregon and came to MSU to pursue my passions: fencing, gymnastics, theater, and writing. In addition to writing for HerCampus, I'm an avid fanfiction author/reader and also write plays and novels. When not on the fencing strip with the MSU Fencing team, I'm nose-deep in a good book or painting some wild art. Follow me on instagram @c.rosewidmann to see pictures of my furbabies.