Wellness > Health

How to Slowly Eat Less Meat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

For the past two months, my diet has changed quite drastically. I used to incorporate meat into my diet almost every day, and now I eat meat only a few times a week. I’ve noticed that now I have more energy and that I see results in my body after working out. 

It seems hard to eat less meat when so many things we eat in our daily lives have meat, but I have found there are a few things you can do to eat more veggies and fruits and lessen meat consumption.

1. Smoothies, Smoothies, Smoothies!

I know this is something that sounds obvious, but smoothies have been a lifesaver for me. I drink a smoothie almost every day, and not only has it helped me snack less, I also have so much more energy in the morning and throughout the day! They’re yummy and good for you. If you’re like me and like thicker, colder smoothies, freezing your fruit has helped me enjoy my smoothies so much more. Here are a few smoothie recipes that have helped me:

Banana PB Smoothie: Banana, peanut butter, vanilla yogurt, and almond milk. 

Berry Smoothie: Blackberries, strawberries, strawberry yogurt, and kiwi juice.

Sunrise Smoothie: Peach, mango, pineapple, strawberry yogurt, and orange juice.

I also love adding cucumber and kale to smoothies if you want more greens in your diet.

2. Cauliflower is Your Friend

Cauliflower is a great substitute for meat, or incorporating it into your meals by itself. Before, I would only eat chicken quesadillas, but now cauliflower quesadillas are one of my favorite things. I love making parmesan encrusted cauliflower as a snack or cauliflower wings is also a great meal to eat. Here is a recipe for my favorite cauliflower wings:

Ingredients

• 1 cup of flour 
  • 2 teaspoons of garlic powder 
  • 1 teaspoon of onion powder 
  • 1 cup of milk 
  • 1 head of cauliflower
  • Pepper (to your taste)
  • Hot sauce (or sauce of choice)

Step 1: Chop your cauliflower into pieces. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. 

Step 2: Take your flour, garlic powder, onion powder, milk, and pepper and mix them into a bowl. Then take your cauliflower pieces and mix them into the bowl, making sure they are all nice and evenly coated. 

Step 3: Then you can either put it into the oven or air fryer (bake) for 14 minutes at 375 degrees. Don’t forget to place non-stick or parchment paper on the bottom of the cauliflower for less mess. 

Step 4: Take your cauliflower out of the oven or air fryer. Put your hot sauce (or sauce of choice) into a bowl, place your cauliflower into the bowl, and evenly spread your sauce onto the cauliflower pieces. 

Step 5: Put your cauliflower back onto your baking sheet and bake it again for 6 minutes at 375 degrees.

Step 6: Let them cool and enjoy with your favorite dressing :) 

3. Pesto is the Best Way to Go

Pasta doesn’t always have to be with red sauce and a choice of meat. I have found that I enjoy pesto in my pasta so much, sometimes even more than traditional red sauce (acid reflux is a struggle). Recently, I’ve been making a creamy pesto sauce to put into my pastas (gnocchi or tortellini are my favorites), and it’s so simple. All you need to do is add pesto and milk to a warm pan and stir! Pesto is also great with Alfredo sauce.

Pesto is amazing with sandwiches. Caprese sandwiches are a delicious lunch, along with a pesto and Swiss cheese sandwich.

4. Don’t Forget about Peanut Butter

Peanut butter is one of my favorite things to have ever existed on this planet (sorry to those with a peanut allergy). There are so many things you can do with a peanut butter – PB & Jelly sandwiches, PB with toast, and so much more. One of my new favorite meals is a peanut butter and banana quesadilla. Here is the recipe I’ve been doing for this healthy meal:

Ingredients

• 1 quesadilla 
  • 1 banana 
  • 3 strawberries (optional) 
  • Peanut butter (to desired amount) 
  • 1 teaspoon of butter

Step 1: Put a pan onto the stove. Heat your stove to medium heat, and place your butter into the pan. 

Step 2: Take your quesadilla and spread peanut butter on one half of the quesadilla. Slice your banana and put your banana slices on the other half of the quesadilla (if you add strawberries, put them on the same side as your banana pieces). 

Step 3: Fold your quesadilla in half to secure the fruit inside then place it into the pan. Heat for 3-5 minutes on both sides until desired crisp. 

Step 4: Take your quesadilla out of the pan and onto a plate to enjoy :) 

Don’t forget about peanuts either (or nuts in general). They are a great snack for on the go and are amazing for you!

5. Can’t Skip Out on the Hummus

Hummus is so versatile and good for you, it is truly overlooked. I love it with a veggie gyro, or dip it with cauliflower or pita chips. Hummus comes in all different flavors like classic, garlic, red pepper, and jalapeño. Pita chips with hummus is one of the best snacks for on the go if you’re a student or looking for something quick and delicious.

These few things have been what have helped me the most, but there are so many things you can do to lessen your meat consumption. It’s all about taking it slow, and it’s okay to not be perfect the first time you’re trying to change your diet. Remember, do what is best for you and your body, and have fun with trying new foods!

Genevieve Fox is a senior at Michigan State University studying Environmental Journalism. She is an E-Board Member and Design Chair for Her Campus MSU. She has designed Her Campus MSU merch for the years 2021 and 2022. Her writing has been featured in the Spartan Newsroom, Great Lakes Echo, Capital News Service, and WKAR. She also has audio work featured on The Food Fix podcast and WKAR-radio.