Wellness > Mental Health

How to put Time into Yourself this Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

For a lot of girls on campus, Valentine’s Day is one of the most anticipated holidays during the spring semester. There’s a lot of potential for love and cuteness on a college campus, but let’s be real; not all of us are going to have a date. So, maybe Valentine’s day isn’t the perfect day for everyone, but don’t fret. This year, instead of spending your time on Valentine’s Day dreaming about the love story you don’t have, this article is going to teach you how to have the best self care day of 2022.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so why not make it special on a holiday like this one? There are a lot of options on or around Michigan State’s campus for treating yourself to a self care breakfast. You can splurge and get a sweet starbucks drink like hot chocolate, or pair a coffee with a chocolate croissant. You can also try a new place for breakfast such as Foster Coffee Company or For Crepe Sake – both on Grand River. Not into heavy or sweet breakfasts? Tropical Smoothie is a personal favorite and their smoothies are a great, fresh start to your day. 

Unfortunately, Valentine’s Day is on a Monday, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make doing schoolwork comfy. Sometimes, doing your work in bed isn’t such a bad idea. Turning on some music, resting your laptop on your blanket covered legs, and using a stuffed animal as company makes doing homework so much easier. Better yet, why not buy a Valentine’s Day stuffed animal for yourself? They’re cute and you can never have too many stuffed animals to cuddle with. 

Even with this comfortable way to study, doing work eventually gets exhausting, which is why taking frequent breaks during this self care day is important. Oftentimes, it’s hard to take breaks when you have so much schoolwork to do, and you think you’re going to feel less productive if you do. However, the truth is that you get more done when your brain is rested and ready to do more work. Resting your brain is always important in college, but it’s extra important on a special self care day like this one. 

After you finish doing all the work you can without driving yourself crazy, it’s definitely time to treat yourself even more. Everyone’s self care needs are different. After spending a day taking care of yourself, some people find it helpful to interact with their friends. If so, play some card games with them, go to a dining hall and eat dinner together, or just hang out in a dorm and forget about the stress of school. If that’s not your vibe that’s totally normal too. You can have a comfy day in. Snuggle up with some blankets, turn on your favorite lamp, and watch a movie. You can have one of your favorite snacks and watch something new, or rewatch a comfort show. While what you choose is playing, why not paint your nails, journal, or do something artistic? Self care is all about what makes you feel better, so do whatever that is. 

Once the day is over, I suggest taking a hot shower. Living in a college dorm means you don’t have the luxury of a bathtub to relax in, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a little spa treatment. Using the body oils from Lush after your shower definitely hits the spot. They smell and feel amazing, and are just the thing for a relaxing wind-down before bed. Thinking of winding-down, while you’re putting your favorite pajamas on, keep the lights low and play lofi music to relax your mind and body before having one of the best sleeps of your life. 

Hopefully, after using the ideas here during your self care Valentine’s Day, you feel refreshed and glad you took the time out of a holiday like this one to love and put time into yourself. Hope you have a fantastic Valentine’s day!

Kayla is a freshman at Michigan State University majoring in physics. With her future degree she wants to be a physicist who works on modern physics research. Her passions include writing, running, reading, and playing her instruments. She likes to write HCMSU articles about mental health and aesthetically pleasing self care.