This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Being a pre-health student can be very challenging. Whether you’re hoping to go to medical, dental, physician assistant, pharmacy, veterinary, or physical therapy school, the path is competitive. From the overwhelming amount of difficult classes to maintaining extracurricular activities, to taking care of your own physical and social health can feel like a lot to balance. Finding a community of like-minded students can be motivating and comforting, but potential comparisons that can come along with that can be harmful. I’ve found myself in moments where I have a lot of self-doubt of whether I am capable and passionate enough to achieve my dreams. 

Common self-doubt questions that may circulate through a pre-health student’s brain are: “Am I good enough?” “Am I capable of achieving my goals?” “Is it worth it?”

I compiled some reminders that have helped keep me going:

You are capable of achieving your goals. No matter what your path to professional school looks like, you are capable of achieving your dreams. No two paths are the same. Your passion and love for the field will keep you motivated in the process. Just make sure you remind yourself of that! 

Take a break from school. The number one thing you can do for your wellbeing is to take breaks away from school. Whether this be for the summer, an extracurricular not related to medicine, self-care time, or just going out with friends, it is so unbelievably important to make yourself feel whole as a person. Find things that fill your life outside of school; life isn’t just about checking off boxes or going to school or work. Make the most of your time and take care of yourself!

You are your own home. Take care of yourself. Going off of my last point, I think this deserves to be expanded upon more. Spend time outside, try to get in exercise, work to get enough sleep, talk/spend time with loved ones and friends, etc. Your health is the foundation to your life; taking care of yourself is a form of self love. Be your own best friend!

Comparison and regret won’t help you. I don’t know about you, but being in pre-health and comparing myself to others just seems to be this inevitable evil that we can all fall into. I often feel overly critical of myself because I am comparing myself to others, even people I don’t know well. Everyone’s circumstances are different, so there is no point in beating yourself up. One of my friends reminded me of this by saying, “There’s truly only so much you can do, and you can’t punish yourself even after you did your best.” 

Maintain a routine. A healthy routine can help you feel more assured in your day-to-day life. Last semester, I would do some homework or lectures, head to the gym, and then come home, shower, cook dinner, and watch TV. This little routine made me feel like I had some balance while also getting my work done. I also recommend inviting your friends to join these activities as a fun break!

These reminders have helped me out. Writing a list out or writing about your passions can be so healing. It certainly has for me. I hope this helps, and best of luck!

Elizabeth Cordill is a senior at Michigan State University studying Neuroscience with a concentration in Behavior and Systems. Upon graduation, she hopes to work during gap year(s) prior to pursuing medical school. A wide variety of specialties interest her: from OB/GYN, neurology, and pediatrics, just to name a few. Elizabeth is passionate about improving patient care, an interest she has furthered with research involvement on campus. On campus she is currently involved with epidemiology research in gynecological health. Outside of being a writer and member of the design team for Her Campus MSU, she enjoys spending time with friends, cooking, scrolling on Pinterest, spending time outside, working out, working with kids, and traveling. She has loved writing since taking Writing as Inquiry (WRA101) here at MSU. She hopes to gain more experience through Her Campus!