This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The holidays can be stressful for a lot of people and sometimes all we want for Christmas is to be at peace. Some of us struggle with the uncomfortable questions discussed at the dinner table, inappropriate comments said by family members, and in general, just annoying questions that shouldn’t be asked. This holiday season, make it a priority to have a stress-free holiday since that’s what we all deserve after the hell of a year we’ve had.

It’s important to determine with your family what expectations you have and which subjects you feel comfortable discussing. In some families, they’re stuck on that ex that came to your Christmas party every year and brought the best cookies-express to your family, with little regard as to how uncomfortable the topic makes you. It’s more than okay to tell someone “no” to plans, or asking questions that weren’t on your list of topics to be discussed ever again. You’re not obligated to do or talk about something that you don’t feel okay doing. When it comes to hosting, it can be even more stressful such as finding the right food and making sure everything is done on time. If you find yourself in this situation, ask guests for help and start prepping for everything in advance. Ask some guests to bring a dish, help set up, or grab a couple things. It will give you one less thing to worry about and it lets them feel involved in the event.

The most important thing is to realize that it’s your holiday season too and you should also feel as comfortable and stress-free as the rest. Besides planning a fun holiday season for the rest, make it enjoyable for you too, you’re already investing all this time so make it worth the while. Everyone should have an enjoyable holiday with family and friends and if the pressure is too much, it’s okay to ask for help or tell others that you’re not feeling your best since holidays are tough on other people too. I hope everyone has a respectful and stress-free holiday season! 

I am a Senior from Puerto Rico going to Michigan State University to major in Psychology. My goal is obtain a psyD in Neuropsychology or Clinical Psychology and open my practice to help children and people who need help.