bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Got the Sniffles? Here’s What You Can Do!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

So you’ve come down with a case of the sniffles. We’ve all been there. In my case, more than others. It could have been from the rapidly changing temperatures. Maybe it was the person coughing next to you during lecture? Or maybe your immune system just hates you.

Whatever the reason, you’re sick, you’re gross, you’re miserable. 

Though there is no magical elixir that can make you 100% healthy in one day, I have some helpful tips to make your cold more bearable, and possibly even shorter!

WATER!

You’ve heard it time and time again from your mother, your grandmother, your nurse…basically everybody. But you know what? They are right! So grab that hydro flask and start drinking that fine H2O!

TEA!

Another tip you’ve probably heard every time you complain about having a sore throat. Drinking a hot cup of tea is probably one of the most satisfying experiences when you’re sick— so when you’re feeling miserable, you should get comfortable and make yourself a nice hot beverage. My personal favorites include Trader Joe’s Organic Ginger Turmeric Herbal Tea, Yogi’s Echinacea Immune Support, and Traditional Medicinals’ Organic Throat Coat.

COUGH DROPS!

Cough drops are one of those magical things that everyone needs to have when they are sick. Not only are they extremely soothing on a sore throat, but they can help with that terrible cough (duh) and clear those stuffy nasal passages. Personally, I’m a big fan of menthol cough drops, especially ones with a mint flavor, since they leave a long-lasting cooling feeling.

NASAL STRIPS!

What is one of the hardest parts about being stuffed up and sick? Sleeping! It seems almost impossible to sleep comfortably when you can’t breathe, which is why nasal strips are a sick person’s best friend. They help to open up your nasal passages so you can breathe more comfortably at night, and heck, if you’re okay with looking a little funny, wear them during the daytime too!

GARLIC!

Okay, so this one seems a bit weird— but trust me, it works! Garlic is known to help strengthen the immune system, and has been used medicinally for centuries, so you know it works. Just crush up a single raw clove of garlic every 3-4 hours and eat it with some crackers to dilute the taste. I’m not gonna lie, this stuff is pungent. I highly suggest going through with this tip alone, or spray yourself with some heavy perfume.

VICKS VAPORUB!

I am going to take the liberty of being your grandmother who suggests Vicks VapoRub for every ailment you may have. This stuff is pure magic, and if you haven’t used it before, you have never truly lived. Put some of this in your humidifier, on your temples, under your nose and on your chest, on the outside of your throat, and on the bottom of your feet with some fluffy socks. All of this will help with breathing, coughing, sore throat, and headaches. It is a heavenly experience, making it an absolute must-have!

SLEEP!

I know that you’re probably stressed with classes and exams, but you can never underestimate the power of sleep. Putting your physical health comes first— so, when it’s late, and you feel like all the information you’re studying is going in one ear and out the other, it may be time to close the textbooks and go to sleep. Sleeping, or simply resting while binge watching Netflix or TikTik videos, can make a huge difference and can even make your illness leave sooner. So please— go take a nap.

Now go get take some cold medicine and get some rest! But remember: if your symptoms last longer than a week, and you have a fever, you should probably go see a doctor.

Annie is a senior at Michigan State University studying for a degree in Elementary Education with a focus in Social Studies. When she isn't studying, she enjoys geeking out about all things Harry Potter, snuggling with her dogs, and binge-watching "New Girl" with her friends. No matter what, you'll always see her with a smile that's wider than the Joker's.
Taylor is an alumnus of Michigan State University's James Madison College and Honors college, holding a Bachelor of Arts in Social Relations and Policy and a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. She formerly served as the Editor-in-Chief and co-Campus Correspondent of MSU's chapter. She works in Lansing She's passionate about women's rights, smashing the patriarchy, and adding to her fuzzy sock collection.