This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

May is Mental Health Awareness Month. Spreading awareness is very important as it increases the chances of disease recognition and advances knowledge of helpful services. Although this awareness is helpful, the destructive stigma around mental health topics is still very prominent.

Often outsiders view seeking mental help as merely seeking attention. This distorted ideal is often planted in people’s minds subconsciously.

I would like you to ask yourself this question. If you had to call in sick to work, would you rather say you had the stomach flu, or say you were having a depressive episode? The majority of people would choose the first option. This question highlights how many of us are affected by stigma.

This stigma is a significant reason why many individuals dealing with mental health problems are reluctant to seek out help. People who need this help often are scared of what others will associate with therapy or other forms of help. People should not have to suffer in silence every day because of this judgment.

The truth is, working on mental illness is hard work, but very rewarding. One major benefit of treating mental health is an improved quality of life. With this comes improved relationships and better performance at work and school. These benefits are deeply life-altering, which is why everyone deserves to seek out help.

Seeking professional help is often critical to improving mental health. Treatment has shown to be effective in mental health, which is why it is so important to get professional help early on. More information on treatments can be found here.

Awareness is one of the first steps to decrease the level of this stigma. It is important to educate the public on the commonality of mental disorders. According to the National Alliance on Mental Health, 1 in 5 American adults lives with a mental health condition. Chances are you know someone with a condition. Help contribute to mental health awareness month by sharing mental health facts or even kind words with friends and family.

I would like to remind you to be compassionate to not only those with known mental illnesses but all of your peers – because you never know what’s going on inside someone’s head.

Morgan is a sophomore at MSU studying computer science. Other than writing, she enjoys looking at art, finding new music, and being active.
Ananya is the President of Her Campus at Michigan State. She is majoring in Human Biology and minoring in Health Promotion, and post-graduation, she will be attending medical school! If she's not studying, you can find her watching TikToks or Grey's Anatomy!