This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

2020 was a year like no other. A lot of historic events happened during 2020 that will forever be remembered. In 2020, we experienced a pandemic, unprecedented natural disasters, political violence, and civil unrest. All of these things can be traumatic to people especially since we have been living through one historic event after another. That can be a lot to take in so it’s more important now than ever to take some time for yourself and check in on how you are doing with yourself. I will be sharing some tips and advice on some self-care. 

Meditate

I started meditating a lot more during 2020 to process my emotions and thoughts about everything going on. I recommend anyone who is having trouble coping or needs an outlet to express yourself to meditate. It is a super helpful technique that clears your head of cloudy thoughts while also making you feel refreshed. I recommend meditating for about 10-20 minutes each day to help reduce stress and anxiety.

Feel-Good Shows

Binge-watching trash tv has also helped me to relax and unwind after a long day. Feel-good shows can be anything that gives you comfort. I prefer watching sitcoms or reality tv. Some of my favorite shows in 2020 have been: It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Bachelor/Bachelorette, Skin Wars, Hell’s Kitchen, New Girl, and Schitt’s Creek. These shows don’t require a lot of brainpower and are fun to watch. 

Face Masks

I don’t know about you, but doing a face mask makes me feel like a completely different person. I loveeeee trying out new face masks, especially the peel-off ones. Some of my favorite face masks are charcoal, green tea, and vitamin C infused ones. Those have been the most beneficial for my skin, but obviously, everyone has different skin types so I recommend researching what works for you.

Baths

I’m not the biggest fan of baths, but I took a few in 2020 to help me relax. Something about laying in a bath full of water makes your body unwind and gives your mind some peace. I love using bath bombs, lighting candles, and listening to music while I bathe and relieve my stress.

Journaling

Since we are living in unprecedented times, journaling can help you vent your thoughts and emotions. If journaling isn’t for you, then you can do voice memos and record your thoughts, draw how you feel, or even talk to your friends about how you’re feeling. Walking through nature also helps me clear my head and gives me peace because I love admiring how wonderful nature really is. 

All in all, I hope everyone is taking care of themselves this year and hopefully you can add some of these tips into your self-care routine. Remember that you are valued, worthy, and loved. Be kind to yourself and talk to yourself nicely. Don’t stress yourself out by overthinking things and just try to live in the moment and be more present; enjoy the little things like spending time with loved ones, dancing and singing to music, buying yourself something nice, or just going for a hike.  Don’t get so caught up in everything that you forget to live

Hi! I am a junior at MSU majoring in psychology. I am from Kalamazoo and my hobbies include doing makeup, listening to music, and writing. My Instagram is @ayushiiiiiiiiiii
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.