5 Self Care Practices for your Mental and Physical Health while Quarantined

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

It is now more important than ever to watch out for our mental and physical health as we are all quarantined at home. There are many ways to take care of yourself and now is a great time to start adapting new practices to improve your health and create an improved lifestyle.

Meditation

Meditation is a way to allow your body to step away from the world for a short period of time. It allows you to not only pull yourself out of your daily worries and anxieties, but it gives you time to reflect on yourself and attain a level of peace. Daily struggles and life in general could get very overwhelming so it is important to take a moment to step away from your busy life just for yourself.

Exercise

It is very easy to get lazy and lay in bed or on the couch all day when you are stuck at home. This could be very bad for your body if you don’t get in your daily exercise through simple activities such as walking. That is why it is very important to get up and do some yoga or exercise. A simple jog or walk in the morning could be very beneficial and refreshing. It is a great idea to incorporate workouts and yoga into your daily routine, especially when you have so much time at home.

Read a Book

It is very important to keep your mind working while you are at home. Even if you have classes or are in school, it is still a great idea to read a couple pages of a book every morning or night just to step away from your life and learn something new. It allows you to take your mind off of your worries and bothers and allows you to delve into a new story or topic.

Journaling

Self-reflection is an essential part of maintaining mental health. Every day you encounter new situations and it is important for you to appreciate what you did throughout your day. Journaling allows you to put your thoughts and worries onto paper, allowing you to further analyze your life and maybe even figure out solutions to the problems you were just thinking about. Journaling could take less than 30 minutes every night and it is a great practice towards improving your mental health.

Spend Time with your Loved Ones

Whether it be over the phone or in person, it is important to spend time with your family and loved ones. Everyone is going through this crazy pandemic together and it is important for us to spend time with our loved ones during this scary time. When you are at home with your friends or family, take the time to play a game or watch a movie or even have a deep conversation with them. Everyone is getting older and time doesn’t wait for anyone. It is very easy to get lonely at home. But, knowing that you have people that love you right next to you and spending time with them could really help you feel the warmth of their love. It is important that when we are at home with all these people near us to spend some time with them that you may not get later. 

A pandemic is something that no one ever thought they would experience in their lifetime. However, it is important for us to use this time at home productively to improve our mental and physical health to grow to be stronger individuals. Use this pandemic to build yourself up, not knock yourself down. Stay healthy and strong!

I am a freshman at Michigan State University with a major in Human Biology. I plan to go to Michigan State University's medical school through the Osteopathic Medical Scholars Program to pursue a career in OBGYN. I love to dance, sing and play tennis. In my free time, I like to watch Netflix and take long naps. I am a Friends enthusiast and am fluent in Friends quotes.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.