This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.
  1. Pumpkin Pie Dip

This dip is light and warm, tastes just like pumpkin pie, and takes maybe 20 minutes to make at most! Easy to travel with and simple for beginners.

Ingredients: 8oz cool whip, 1 block cream cheese, ⅔ cup pumpkin pie mix, ½ cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice seasoning, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions: Using a stand-up or hand mixer, mix the cream cheese and cool whip in a bowl until smooth. Add the pumpkin pie mix, brown sugar, pumpkin spice seasoning, and vanilla, and mix until smooth. And you’re done! These are best served with cinnamon sugar pita chips.

1. Candied Almonds

It sounds intimidating, but these are simple and delicious. It takes about half an hour, and gets a little messy, but nothing too bad. Any kind of nuts can be substituted for almonds. 

Ingredients: ½ cup water, 1 cup white sugar, 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, 2 cups whole almonds

Directions: Combine the water, sugar, and cinnamon in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Once boiling, add the almonds. Stir with a rubber spatula until the liquid is cooked out and there is a syrup-like coating on the almonds. Pour the almonds on a baking sheet lined with wax paper and let cool. And you’re done! You can even bag them up in festive bags and give them as Christmas gifts!

1. Peach Cobbler

This recipe also sounds intimidating, I was scared to make it my first time too, but it turned out amazing! It’s a lot of fun to make.

Ingredients: 4 cups of peaches peeled, cored, and sliced (can use canned or fresh, I use canned for the sake of ease so I’ll give the recipe for canned peaches but link the same recipe for fresh ones), 6 tablespoons butter, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup white sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¾ cup milk, ground cinnamon

Directions: Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Slice the butter into pieces and place equidistant across a 9×13 inch baking dish. Place the pan in the oven while preheating to melt the butter, remove the pan once butter is melted. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt (I recommend sifting). Stir in the milk until combined. Pour the mixture into the pan over the melted butter and smooth out evenly. Spoon the peaches and the juice over the top of the mixture. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake for ~40 minutes. This is best served warm with vanilla ice cream!

Marlana DeClaire is a senior at Michigan State University. She is studying Genomics and Molecular Genetics as well as Health Promotion. She is a plant and soil science laboratory technician at Michigan State. In her free time she writes poetry, reads, and enjoys attending concerts.