Camryn Chernick demonstrating Warrior 1 from the front view in jeans to show various yoga poses can be done in tighter clothing.
Photo by Wilfredo Velez
Wellness

Standing Yoga Poses That You Can Do Anywhere

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Have you heard that sitting is the new smoking? It’s so easy to forget about moving when your life revolves around sitting, but lack of movement can lead to health complications down the road. You work, drive, do school, and eat all while sitting down. Fortunately, it’s easy to throw in mini stretch breaks in your routine. Even if working out isn’t your jam, adding a little bit of movement a few times a day can boost your productivity, give you more energy, and relieve tension from your body. Taking a few short breaks throughout the day can make all the difference.

I, your favorite yoga instructor, have picked out these five yoga poses because they’re gentle on the body, easy to do in small spaces, are subtle enough to do in a workspace, and are practical for tighter clothing. Of course, if your outfit is really restricting, you may want to hold back from the full stretch to prevent tearing. I also recommend doing these with flat shoes or no shoes at all!

Hold these poses for at least 10 seconds, but feel free to hold each of them for as long as you’d like. Watch how the tension melts off your body. Try these five yoga poses the next time you’re sitting for a while!

Warrior I 

Warrior I stretches your hips and chest while strengthening your core and back. Be sure to do the pose on both sides!

Camryn Chernick demonstrating Warrior 1 in jeans to show that certain yoga poses that can be done in tighter clothing.
Photo by Wilfredo Velez

Leg placement: Start by standing up straight and then step your right foot back so your right foot is flat on the ground at a 45-degree angle. Your heels should be directly aligned with one another.  Keep your front left knee stacked over your front ankle. Be mindful that your hips are squared off so they’re directly parallel to the wall in front of you.

Arm placement: You have some options here! You can place your arms up above you with your shoulders pressing away from your ears. For something more discreet, feel free to clasp your palms behind your low back to stretch your pecs. If you want to feel more supported, place your hands on a surface like a chair, desk, or wall, to balance on.

High Lunge

High Lunge stretches the psoas and hips while strengthening the quads and glutes. You also get to play around with balance in this pose, which means your core is getting fired up. Remember to stretch both sides.

Camryn Chernick demonstrating High Lunge in jeans to show that certain yoga poses that can be done in tighter clothing.
Photo by Wilfredo Velez
Leg placement: From a standing position, step your right foot back behind you, keeping your heel lifted off the ground and both feet facing forward. Be mindful that your left knee is directly over your left ankle and that your hips are straight. 

Arm placement: The same as your Warrior I arms, you can keep them above you, behind your low back, or resting on a surface.

Pyramid

Pyramid pose stretches the hamstrings and relieves the low back while allowing your blood to flow to your head.

Camryn Chernick demonstrating Pyramid Pose in jeans to show that certain yoga poses that can be done in tighter clothing.
Photo by Wilfredo Velez

Leg placement: Starting from standing, step your right leg back and plant the entire right foot into the ground so both feet are facing forward. Invite a gentle or generous bend in the front left knee. Lean forward and fold as far as you’re comfortable over your front leg. 

Arm placement: Allow your palms to rest on your shin or the floor as you fold. For yogis more advanced in their practice, experiment with grabbing opposite elbows from behind your back.

Standing Side Stretch

Standing Side Stretch lengthens out the side body. Be mindful that if you take one variation on one side, you do the same variation on the other!

Camryn Chernick demonstrating Standing Side Stretch in jeans to show that certain yoga poses that can be done in tighter clothing.
Photo by Wilfredo Velez
Leg placement: Keep both feet planted about hip-width apart from standing. If you’d like to increase the sensation, option to cross the right foot over the standing left ankle if you’re stretching out the right side body and vice versa for the other side.

Arm placement: For stretching out the right side body, you would grab the right wrist with your left palm and lean over to the left. If this doesn’t feel good for your body, opt to just reach the arms over to the right instead of holding your wrist. 

Forward Fold

Forward fold stretches the back of the legs and lengthens the spine. This is a gentle pose that aids in relieving stress.

Camryn Chernick demonstrating Forward Fold in jeans to show that certain yoga poses that can be done in tighter clothing.
Photo by Wilfredo Velez

Leg placement: Keeping both feet hip-width apart with a gentle space between the knees, allow your upper body to fold over the legs. Your belly should be resting on the thighs, so it’s okay if your knees are deeply bent.

Arm placement: While folded, you can allow your arms to ragdoll or you can clasp opposite elbows. Feel free to sway side to side or shake the head out.

Namaste,

Camryn

Camryn is a senior at Montclair State University with a Communications Studies major and a minor in Entrepreneurship. She is a passionate certified fitness instructor specializing in yoga, POUND, and barre. When she's not instructing classes or writing inspiring articles, you'll find her experimenting with her makeup, crafting, eating dessert, going on thrilling day trips, or obsessing over Disney.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.