This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Mangos, watermelon, tomatoes, eggplants– yummy foods we buy whenever they’re available in the supermarket, but just because it’s displayed doesn’t mean it’s in season. Due to this modern age, vegetables and fruits are constantly being imported from different states and countries to your local grocery store. Not only does this transportation of goods leave a giant carbon footprint, but it can also burn a hole through your wallet! 

Here are a bunch of in-season winter produce that are great for the environment and cost-effective! 

Northeast

Mushrooms

Parsnips

Recipes to try: How to cook the perfect Sunday roast

Midwest

Mushrooms

Recipes to try: Collegiette Eats: Sole With Mushroom Rice

Northwest

Beets

Cabbage

Carrots

Kale

Squash

Potato

Clementine

Recipes to try: Delicious (Vegan) Dinner Recipes I’ve Been Loving This Semester

Southwest

Avocado

Broccoli

Grapefruit

Strawberry

Spinach 

Radish

Tangerine

Recipes to try: The Dish: Chocolate Covered Strawberry 

South

Apples

Kale

Spinach

Grapefruit

Oranges

Lettuce

Recipes to try: Simple Ways to Eat More Kale

Have you made your next shopping list yet? I hope this list inspires you to support your local farmer’s market and eat more regionally available food in general!

Ana Hilario

Montclair '21

Ana graduated from Montclair State University with a degree in English. She loves reading, traveling, coffee, llamas, and the Oxford comma. Follow her on Instagram @ana_hilarious_ for good vibes and funky outfits.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.