Wellness

My New Year’s Resolution Journey: 2016, 2020, 20**

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

It’s no secret that New Year’s Resolutions are often broken by the end of January. You have the best intentions and do a great job at the start, but then life gets in the way and you have to focus on more pressing matters. I get it. 

I actually never thought I would follow through on a New Year’s Resolution in my life. That was before the year 2016.

After a terrible stomach from eating too much around Christmas time in 2015, I decided it was time to focus on my physical health. The next day, I joined Planet Fitness and got on Weight Watchers (now known as WW). Over the span of six months, I lost 40 pounds. I was so proud of myself and thought I could keep it up! 

In the fall of 2016, I gained back around 10 pounds, but that wasn’t bad considering the fact that I lost 40. Then the holidays came around and another 10 were added. I still wasn’t concerned because I had good endurance for exercise and felt pretty healthy. 

From the fall of 2016 to the summer of 2017, I had pretty much maintained my weight. Then the fall of 2017 hit me like a truck.

It was my senior year of high school, and I was excited to finish the year off strong. Sadly, that didn’t happen. In September 2017, my mother was diagnosed with stage 3 sinus cancer. She started to go to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota because it was so severe and uncommon. They then found a cancerous node in her lung that was unrelated.

Over the next three months, she had four surgeries, chemotherapy, and proton radiation at the Mayo Clinic. I was depressed, angry, frustrated, but most of all, disappointed because, at my heaviest, I got up to 220 pounds. 

Going from 170 to 220 was AWFUL. I lost interest in everything, I cut off friends, I felt isolated and alone in this fight with life. 

I spent a long time in Rochester as well, having my friends send me my homework while I watched my mother receive cancer treatment for two months straight.

When my mom finished proton radiation in January 2018, we went back to the Twin Cities. I went back to my high school and everything changed. 

I wasn’t interested in going to after school activities or even hanging out with friends. I was anxious constantly and felt drained. I felt this way until I graduated from high school in June 2018. 

Once I graduated, a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. I was free from that situation that caused me this setback and could be reborn.

During the Summer of 2018, I worked full time at Little Caesar’s as a Shift Lead until college started in August.

The difference between myself in high school and college is night and day, literally. I found a place where I was encouraged to speak my mind, ask questions, and learn more about the world. Ever since I have been at Minnesota State University, Mankato (MNSU) I have been reborn as confident, expressive, passionate, and dedicated to my future career goals. 

Everything seemed as though it was perfect. Except for one thing. I kept remembering the wonderful progress I made in 2016 and wanted to do it again.

When I finished my third semester at MNSU, I decided in the year 2020, I would attempt to do what I did before; get down to 150 pounds and continue to stay healthy throughout the rest of my life. 

I returned to the Twin Cities for my winter break and signed up for Planet Fitness, just like before. I worked out around four out of the seven days of the week, but I continued to eat as I had before. (It was the holidays, and my Aunt is an amazing cook.) When the clock struck midnight on January 1st, 2020, I changed my eating habits. A few weeks later, I joined Weight Watchers, (WW), once again and began to track my food and exercise.

Throughout the years, my weight loss journey has not been easy, and I don’t think it has been for anyone. But I believe that at this point in my life, I have the chance to get back to my goal weight of 150 pounds. No resolution is easy, but the end result is so worth it.

minnesota state university, mankato '22 🐃 i manage social media accounts 🔮 known for being loud, short and social 🦋 whisker media 😽 #blacklivesmatter❣
I am senior at MNSU and am studying to get a degree in Marketing with a minor in Mass Media. I love cooking, being around friends and family, going on little adventures, and just having fun.