This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Diets suck. Regardless of what the diet is, it sucks. The hardest part about a diet is that you can’t eat some of your favorite foods which is the worst, am I right? I’m here to tell you, though, that you can be healthy and still eat all your favorite foods! Yes, you read that right. No, it is not any certain diet I am talking about. No, it will not cost you hundreds of dollars either. And NO, I am not trying to sell you anything. All you have to do is be mindful of what you are eating and how much of it you are eating.

I consider myself fairly healthy and in one of the best shapes of my life, so here is how I do it. I meal prep a healthy meal every week to always have one on hand. Make sure this is a meal you find delicious, there are plenty of yummy recipes out there to make. PLUS, you can always add your own touches to these recipes. Eat until you feel satisfied and do not overeat. What I found most helpful would be to proportion your food out right away. This means while meal prepping portion out your carbs, protein and veggies into a container and on your plate as best as possible. This way you don’t have the extra food sitting in front of your face all dinner time just asking you to have some extras. You will be plenty satisfied after eating the right portion sizes for dinner. Allow yourself one cheat meal a week. Whether this is pizza, eating out or something not necessarily on the healthiest side. Work this into your week when you want, don’t just assign a day to be a “cheat day.” Just work this casually in among your prepped meals. In regard to these meals, moderation and portions are still your best friends.

Also drink some water for goodness sakes. All day long!! Not only is this a necessity, but it will also make you feel fuller. Thus, you will result in not overeating.

Give yourself some grace when it comes to a sweet or two. This one gets me every. single. time. I have a MAJOR sweet tooth. I am a true believer you gotta treat yourself to some ice cream or chocolate or candy from time to time. It’s not the end of the world and who cares if you eat the cupcake?! Just don’t get into the habit of it every single meal of every day. Work this into your normal food routine and you will be golden.

You don’t have to restrict yourself from your favorite foods just to be healthy or to satisfy your diet plans. Give yourself some grace and treat yourself girl! You deserve it. Remember moderation and portion sizes are key. Cheat meals are OKAY. And you can, in fact, eat the candy bar. You will live girlfriend.

Kalli Steinberg

Minnesota '20

I am currently a senior at Minnesota State University - Mankato studying Business Marketing. I enjoy spending time with friends and family, being outside, running, working out and shopping.
I am senior at MNSU and am studying to get a degree in Marketing with a minor in Mass Media. I love cooking, being around friends and family, going on little adventures, and just having fun.