Summer Girl Hawaii Yoga Hiking Exercise View
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

I started practicing yoga about weekly over the last two years. I started religiously going to classes that were put on by my university. Now, in my last semester of college, my favorite yoga instructor is studying abroad in a different state. Super exciting for her! But a bummer for me as I just quite haven’t found another instructor that is through the school that I have really liked practicing with. I started to explore outside of just going to school and decided to look into more local places that have yoga. That brings me to HOT YOGA!

Since starting yoga about two years ago I have been itching to go try hot yoga. This is when you practice yoga in a room that can range from 80-100 degrees Fahrenheit.This is a class that consists of different poses. A little different from vinyasa yoga which I typically go to which is going through the practice in a more flowing matter synchronizing your breath and flows you go through. I have heard such good things about it and how it affects the body (not to mention yoga is really good for your body in general). I went last week for the first time and I FELL IN LOVE! This is a class that truly challenges you, but not too hard. And my favorite part is that you actually sweat. Like a lot. It felt like such a good workout and I already cannot wait to go back!

Now onto the benefits of Hot Yoga and why you should push yourself to try it:

1)    Improves flexibility

This is true to the fact that having warm muscles helps you stretch just that much more when you are posing, and you can achieve a greater range of motion in doing so!

2)    Burns more calories – yaaas please!

You can nearly double the number of calories burned in hot yoga! I know this is true because I saw it first hand in my experience.

3)    Builds bone density

Supporting your weight in different yoga poses can help to create bone density. This is true in the neck, hips and lower backs of folks.

4)    Reduce stress

In the two years I have been practicing yoga, I have found this to be MONUMENTAL! School, work, and life, in general, can tend to stress a person out but having yoga as an outlet is an effective way to naturally deal with stress at hand. Plus, it is a HEALTHY way to deal with stress.

5)    Eases depression

This ties in with #4. Yoga is a technique to help people relax and improve their mood. This is a proven way, for some, to help to reduce depression.

6)    Provides a cardio boost

When you strike different poses in high heat you can give your lungs, heart, and muscles a more challenging workout than doing the same poses in normal room temperature. Hot yoga also revs up your metabolism and respiration.

7)    Reduces blood glucose levels

This may be an especially helpful tool for people at risk or even have type 2 diabetes. This is true due to the fact that you can burn energy and reduce circulations levels of glucose, sugar.

8)    Nourishes the skin

One of the benefits of sweating in a warm environment is that it may help bring oxygen and nutrient-rich blood to your skin cells. A natural remedy to acne problems if one may have them.

I have come to fall so much in love with yoga in general. Yoga benefits a person in more ways than just listed above. I have found I have become much more flexible and yoga challenges me in different ways than the gym typically does. I highly recommend yoga AND hot yoga to anyone and everyone. Who cares you have never done it before? If I would have never put myself out there to go to classes, I never would have known I would love it so much.

~Namaste~

Kalli Steinberg

Minnesota '20

I am currently a senior at Minnesota State University - Mankato studying Business Marketing. I enjoy spending time with friends and family, being outside, running, working out and shopping.
I am senior at MNSU and am studying to get a degree in Marketing with a minor in Mass Media. I love cooking, being around friends and family, going on little adventures, and just having fun.