This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

There are many things to keep in mind when you are heading to the gym. You might be thinking, “Why do I need to think about anything before I go to the gym?”, but there are a few things that should be addressed before you head out the door.

• Plan your workout ahead of time

The worst thing you can do for yourself is to go into your workout without thinking it through. The most important thing to do before heading to the gym is deciding what group of muscles you are going to exercise today, and how you are going to carry out that task.

• Have a solid workout playlist

The only way you’ll continue to motivate yourself at the gym is if you have a kick-ass playlist to get you through the rough spots of the workout. Cardio is the most important time to utilize music because you can keep your mind off what you are doing and focus on the music.

• Start your work out with a warm up

For the beginning of your workout, it’s best to warm up. It is not good for your muscles to jump right into some heavy lifting, and you’ll regret that next time you do that. Therefore, start with some dynamic stretching or doing some work on a treadmill or elliptical.

• Get your butt in the gym, and get your butt out of the gym

There is no reason for someone to be in the gym longer than an hour and fifteen minutes. When you are at the gym, focus on your lifts and put your cell phone away. Sometimes, you may have to cut down your rest intervals between sets, but that’s OK.

• Don’t be afraid to add weight

The only way your body can build muscle is if you add weight to your exercises. If you are looking to tone your muscles, then it is OK to stay at the same weight consistently and not move forward from that. Adding weight can only push you and make you stronger than the day before.

• Start logging your workouts

It is very important to log your workouts either during or after the workout. This way, you can look back at recent exercises and build weight from there. It is OK to do the same workout the next week, as long as you increase the intensity a bit to make yourself sweat a little more.

• Do workouts you actually enjoy

If you are someone who hates cardio, then DON’T do as much cardio. There are plenty of ways to incorporate cardio into a regular lifting program. If you are not much of a weightlifter, don’t incorporate as much lifting into your schedule. Yoga, Pilates, kickboxing, circuit classes, and many more are offered in a multitude of gyms. Those are also great options instead of regular workout at the gym.

Sammy is what you would call a Student Solider. She is in the Army and also a Senior at MNSU. Her major is Mass Media and her minor is Communication Studies. She is from Cottage Grove, MN and enjoys her weekends in the cities. She enjoys being the Her Campus MNSU Chapters Campus Correspondent and also Young Life. She wishes that fall season was year round, but living in Minnesota she will have deal with all the seasons it brings.