My Experience With CrossFit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

On Saturdays I normally sleep in for hours, but today was different. I have been looking to spice up my workout routine and try different ways to be fit. I am a runner, and from time to time I sprinkle in weights – I have been doing more of those lately so I have more upper body strength. I have been hearing people say that CrossFit is fun and an awesome workout, so I thought I would give it a shot.

CrossFit is basically HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training). It is effective because you are able to burn fat in a short period of time because the exercises are quick and require maximum effort – Deadpool reference intended.

I did not know what to expect. I thought it would be a ton of weight lifting and other stuff I would not be good at, but to my surprise it was fun. I went to an intro class at CrossFit NYC, which is located Downtown a few blocks from Penn Station. Walking up the steep stairs was a little intimidating, however when I opened the doors the room was filled with intriguing equipment, and people, well, working out. I went to the front desk and was shown around the gym.

I was early, so I warmed up and waited for the class to start. I was self-conscience looking at all of the people who have clearly been doing CrossFit for a while, but reminded myself that I could get there too with dedication and practice.

The intro class was very informative. The instructor told us what CrossFit was and what our workout would include. After the warm-up, the main part of the workout was 10 air squats, 10 burpees, and 10 sit-ups. All of this I have done previously in my physical education classes, sports, or during my own workouts. The catch? We had to do them continuously for ten minutes.

By my third set I was tired. I felt great, but my body was starting to give up on me. With two minutes left, I knew that I was only going to finish about four sets, and I ended up doing four and a half.

CrossFit is intense, but that’s what makes it a great workout. I left the building feeling great, and I plan to continue classes. If you have ever considered taking a CrossFit class, I would give it a shot. I don’t regret my choice, and I can’t wait to increase my abilities.

I am a freshman at Marymount Manhattan College where I currently study Theatre Arts and New Media. A few of my favorite things are music, writing and tea.
Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli