Wellness > Health

I Tried the Victoria’s Secret Model Diet and Exercise Plan – Here’s How it Went

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Victoria’s Secret models. We all know them. We all admire them. We all compare ourselves to them. But, why?

Society has created an unrealistic and unreasonable expectation of beauty. An expectation that can only be met through extensive exercise, restrictive diets and expensive surgeries. Such strict lifestyles have always seemed impossible for a young person in college, like myself, to follow. 

Maybe you disagree. Maybe you are saying to yourself, “No, you can do anything if you’re dedicated and motivated enough.” To that, I would say you are wrong. But good for you for being so optimistic. To prove it though, I decided to try out this little experiment.

About a month ago, I was feeling pretty down. I didn’t like my appearance, I didn’t feel confident about who I was or what I looked like, and I felt scared to face the summer months in a crop top and a bikini. As a result of this insecure self-image, I started watching YouTube videos about health and fitness. I watched videos titled, “HOW TO LOSE WEIGHT FAST” and “HOW TO GET A SUMMER BODY,” and then stumbled across a compilation of “HOW TO GET A BODY LIKE A VICTORIA’S SECRET MODEL.” That is how this concept was born. 

After some extensive research, I formulated a Victoria’s Secret diet and workout plan from a variety of different sources and tailored a routine to my current lifestyle and school schedule. After constructing my plan, I started my journey with the hope of lasting 21 days. Hate to break it to you, but I did not last that long. 

WORKOUTS

While searching for the perfect workout routine, I found a People article titled, “I Worked Out Like A Victoria’s Secret Model (& Somehow Survived)” by Grace Gavilanes. Gavilanes received a strict workout plan from Chase Weber – a celebrity trainer who focuses intently on model clients and is famously known for crafting the “3-3-3” plan. 

The 3-3-3 method, according to Weber’s description in the article, is a high-intensity program “based upon strength, power and stability.” The workouts consist of three circuits containing three workouts that are repeated three times. It focuses on the entire body with hand weights and body weight, making it easy to recreate and practice at home.

Going into this challenge, I expected there to be some difficulties. However, I felt confident that whatever challenges this routine brought, it was nothing I couldn’t handle. After all, I played sports in high school, so how hard could it be? Right?

At the start of the workout, you are supposed to run about 0.8 miles as a warm-up. This seemed strange to me because if I were to run 0.8 miles, why wouldn’t I keep going to hit that mile checkpoint? So, that’s what I did. I would start the workouts with a quick mile run around my college town and would go inside to start the actual routine.

According to People, Weber’s 3-3-3 Victoria’s Secret Model Plan was set up like this:

• 0.8-mile jog or inclined walk (warm-up)
  • 100- Abs (25 toe touches, 25 superman’s, 25 bosu ball abs, 25 sit-ups)
  • 12- Dumbbell squat press
  • 10- Dumbbell incline press
  • 20 seconds- Mountain climber 
  • 30 seconds- Jog

x3

• 15- Weighted squats
  • 6/leg- Step-back lunges with a curl
  • 10- Bent-over row

x3

• 20- Lying hip thrust with a weighted tricep extension
  • 12- Elbow plank to push up
  • 30 seconds- Plank hold

x3

Most of the time, I would get through the whole thing without taking too many breaks. But when it was all over, my face was bright red, my hair was greasy and my body was covered in a very seductive layer of sweat. Think of that one scene of Baywatch with Pamela Anderson running on the beach. Except I am not Pamela Anderson, I am not a leading lady in a breakthrough television franchise, and my equivalent to the “sexy, red one-piece” is a hand-me-down, dry-fit t-shirt and a pair of running shorts from Walmart’s clearance section. 

Overall, I enjoyed the exercises and found them to be realistically challenging. 

Since the life of a Victoria’s Secret model revolves around their appearance, working out is a part of their typical 9-5 job. Of course, most of us do not have the luxury of being able to dedicate several hours of the day to exercise, but this workout was more-or-less the “common man” version of the traditional Victoria’s Secret model routine.

After embarking on this challenge, I have found myself coming back to these exercises. They take less than an hour to complete and can be done while listening to a podcast, studying for class with an E-textbook/Audiobook, or if you are anything like me, watching another episode of Spongebob Squarepants if you’re really feeling crazy. 

NUTRITION

This was the part of the challenge that made me want to curl up in a fetal position and cry. 

Just to provide you with a little bit of context, my diet kinda sucks. I am picky (although, I am willing to try anything), and I love carbs, sugar and caffeine. I don’t eat red meat or pork, I don’t like most vegetables, and if I do eat fruit, it is the most sugary fruit I can find. When it comes to how much I eat in a day, I typically eat about one or two meals a day. That is, of course, if I can even remember to eat. I tend to get distracted and find myself binge-eating chips and salsa at 9 p.m. If that concerns you then, “BLAME IT ON MY ADD.” *insert Awolnation’s, “Sail”*

So, if it wasn’t already obvious, I was screwed from the beginning.

We can all imagine the types of resources that Victoria’s Secret models have to maintain their toned physiques. From nutritionists to dietitians to coaches, these models can find and afford organic and non-processed whole foods – something that is a luxury in this day in age. All of these factors play a massive role in how these models thrive in this lifestyle, and why we normal folk find it to be so challenging.

Finding the time to sit down and enjoy a home-cooked meal is quite the struggle anymore. In my case, I don’t even have the time to enjoy a full cup of coffee before running to class in the morning. Although this sucks, this is the reality for a lot of people I know, not just myself. 

When researching the type of food Victoria’s Secret models typically eat in a day, I noticed that each model has a strict set of rules they must follow when choosing what to eat and what not to eat. Anything high in sugar, fat and sodium tends to go against the basic principles of a Victoria’s Secret diet, and the expectation is to only consume well-rounded, fresh and whole foods. 

These rules and restrictions may not surprise you, as they didn’t for me too. But with all this in mind, the most disappointing part of this lifestyle was the fact that cheat days are not accounted for or even acknowledged as an option in this routine.

First of all, why? Second of all, WHY?

For the first few days, I went into a full-on sugar deficit. I was hardly consuming processed sugars, I limited my coffee intake (this was honestly for the better considering my coffee is 90% cream and sugar), and I was not having my daily spoons of peanut butter. All of which was torture. These changes had a significant effect on me for a few days, but I eventually adapted to this cruel routine.

Not long after finals week hit, it all went downhill. Every day I went to bed late and woke up early to study, I attended graduation celebrations, student organization meetings and several birthday parties. Avoiding sugar while being surrounded by candy, popcorn, ice cream and brownies was, no pun intended, a recipe for disaster. After giving in to all of my sick desires, the only thing I can compare myself to was that one scene in “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” with Jim Carrey, where the whole town is shoving fudge down his throat. Unlike the Grinch though, my actions were completely voluntary.

After taking the walk of shame home and feeling like the miserable failure I was, I got mad. I was planning to scratch this entire article, toss my organic bananas in the trash and write a strongly-worded text to my mother for passing down taste buds that only crave Little Debbie’s Swiss Rolls. That was until I thought to myself, “This is what young people need to hear.”

A Victoria’s Secret model lifestyle in this ever-changing and inconsistent phase of life that most students are in, is virtually impossible. Not only is it impossible, it is impractical, it is unreasonable, and it isn’t worth it. I caught myself turning down lunch and dinner plans, I avoided getting ice cream with my roommates before we all parted ways for the summer, I (almost) didn’t eat my birthday cake, and for what? Is it all to just say that I lost weight? Is it all just to look like someone I’m not? 

So if you haven’t already guessed, I quit. I also demolished several brownies and some cookie cake immediately after.

Long story long, I realized from this experiment that cheat days are OK. You can lead a healthy and balanced lifestyle while still indulging in the foods and things you love. Do not beat yourself up for being human and feeling the desire to eat a sugary or greasy meal. That is what makes life fun and worth it.

To all of you still reading, I encourage you to take advantage of this time in your life. Be social, be spontaneous, eat well, be healthy, cut yourself some slack and enjoy the simple things in life. Don’t compare your lifestyle to others and remember each of us has a unique set of circumstances that affect who we are, what we look like, how our bodies feel and react, and how we approach life. 

Now get out there, enjoy your hot girl summer, and if you need me, I’ll be indulging in a pint of Ben and Jerry’s, “Half Baked” ice cream.

Hi! My name is Olivia Johnson and I am a journalism major at the University of Missouri! I was born and raised in Kansas City, but I live full-time in Columbia now! I love to write, research and sing (super random... I know). I have two dogs (a Goldendoodle named Larry and a Bernedoodle named Sully) and a cat (a Himalayan named Julius)! I love everything beauty, fashion, and lifestyle, so I love HER and the wide range of topics I can talk about here! Make sure you follow me on all of my social media accounts listed down below and make sure to follow the rest of the Her Campus team! Happy reading! Instagram: oliviagalejohnson Twitter: _OliviaJohnson_ LinkedIn: Olivia Johnson - https://www.linkedin.com/in/olivia-johnson-49739a206/