This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

The start of a new year always has everyone searching for new habits or new ways to improve their lives. Whether its finally getting a gym membership, blocking that one person who just can’t seem to leave you alone or getting the risky hair cut, we’re constantly looking for something new and exciting. 

2022 is sure to be another crazy year, with the two-year mark of the pandemic looming over us and the omicron variant running rampant. People just simply want to get back to normal and while we can’t return to our new normal just yet, there are plenty of ways for us to begin healing and starting fresh in January. 

Revamp your social media 

One way to start off on the right foot is to comb through the accounts and people you’re following on social platforms. The content we choose to consume, whether we realize it or not, has a profound effect on our mental health. 

If there are certain people or accounts that are doing more harm than good, unfollow them. Sometimes stalking your old partners or friends isn’t worth the anxiety or overthinking. It’s better to not see their name pop up on your screen. 

You can also use this exercise to find new accounts that can add more variety and positivity to your feed. I highly recommend @Feminist and @TheFemaleHustlers on Instagram. Feminist posts a lot about body positivity and the account is based on the concept of intersectional feminism. The Female Hustlers is a great page because it consists of motivational and self-reflective quotes and never hesitates to put my feelings into words. 

Switching up your social media could also mean changing your profile pictures and updating your bios. No matter how you interpret revamping your social media, it’s all about aligning your media consumption with positive intention going into the new year. 

Find more ways to practice mindfulness

Now, I know what you’re thinking. You can’t start another year by saying you’ll go to the gym and then fall off the wagon three weeks later. But mindfulness is so much more than that. It can be as easy as having a goal of how much water you want to drink a day or eating more vegetables. 

Practicing mindfulness is supposed to be enjoyable and not feel like a chore, so don’t make it one. Writing down one positive thing that happened from your day, reading 10 pages in a book or learning a new TikTok dance can do more for you than you even realize. 

This year should be a year of healing, especially with everything happening around us right now. The little things you can do to brighten your day will definitely pay off in the long run. 

If you’re having a hard time thinking of ways to practice mindfulness or just don’t know where to start, Pinterest, Instagram and TikTok have great examples that can give you plenty of ideas. Using hashtags like #mindfulness or #wellness can pinpoint the types of content you want and then all you have to do is scroll. You might even find some new content creators to follow and further your goal of revamping your social media. 

Start setting boundaries

Once you’ve set virtual boundaries by unfollowing and blocking toxicity on your phone, another step you can make is to set boundaries in real-life scenarios. Sometimes this is easier said than done, but this practice can be even more meaningful when it comes to face-to-face interactions.  

Whether it’s setting boundaries at work and not overworking yourself, saying “no” more often to people who take too much from you or cutting people off completely, establishing those boundaries will only benefit you. 

Although it’s hard, having those tough conversations and setting limits is going to give you the time and space to start growing new roots in other gardens. Life is far too precious and unpredictable to keep people around who don’t give you unconditional love and support. 

While starting fresh looks different for everyone, it always starts with a solid foundation of establishing goals and setting intentions. Eliminating negative energy on the internet and in life is a great way to start and things only get easier from there. 

Even if the start of the new year might be hard for you and you aren’t ready to make these changes, this can all be applied at any point in life and entirely at your own pace. May 2022 be nothing short of extraordinary and bring you endless happiness and healing. 

Sophia Donis

Mizzou '23

I’m a Journalism major with a minor in Political Science from the Chicago suburbs! I love interior design, spending time with my friends and snuggling up with a good book!