BTC MAIN?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
BTC MAIN?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
Wellness > Mental Health

How to Cure Your Back-to-School Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Monday Mizzou opened its doors once again to kick off another school year. This means we’re back to essays, labs and homework assignments with only the weekends to enjoy our freedom. But, classes starting back up won’t end all of the fun in town. Plenty of local businesses and online shops around Columbia (Como) offer great back-to-school deals and events. 

Treat yo’ self.

Grab some new gear for the school year. If you’ve been carrying around a backpack that is literally hanging on by a thread then it’s time to get a new one. 

Amazon’s back-to-school deals give students a place to spend their cash and get their products in time for the second week of class. The site carries an assortment of cute pencil bags, sleek headphones and desk accessories to keep you scrolling for hours. Retail therapy never fails to lighten the mood. 

Branch out, seriously.

Mizzou offers tons of fun DIY kits and hosts several events, so you’ll never be bored. Checking out the StuffToDoAtMU account is a life-saver for freshmen and anyone struggling to find something to fill their free time. The most common events are movie screenings followed by live music and raffles. Remember, Mizzou isn’t all work and no play. 

Whether you’re a freshman or not, it’s never a bad time to join a club or check out a new community on campus. MU Engage has an endless list of people and events you can contact, attend or join to pass the time and get yourself out of a rut. (Speaking of getting involved, Her Campus has opened back up their positions for anyone to apply. *wink, wink*)

Drown your sorrows.

This is for the 21+ club only.

Mizzou is a tried and true college town, so of course, bars are having door-buster syllabus week deals. 

The Social Room opened up Wednesdays for karaoke and just finished remodeling its new outdoor space where guests can buy food and smoke freely. 

Shiloh’s has enough $2 bombs and jungle juice for the whole campus and is bringing back their infamous bingo night. The prize for syllabus week is a new cornhole set. 

Finally, you already know Harpo’s has deals every day of syllabus week starting at 3 p.m. They have everything a college student could want – wells, draft beers, wings and so much more. (Oh, and don’t forget, they have a deal on mimosas to help you recover the next day.)

Don’t be too sad about school starting back up. You can make the most of Como if you just know where to look. Good luck this school year, Tigers!

Emma Lingo is the senior editor at Her Campus’s University of Missouri chapter. She oversees the entertainment and culture verticals on the site, including television, movies, and book coverage. Beyond Her Campus, Emma works as a freelance writer. Her bylines have appeared in The List, The Missourian, Vox Magazine, Shifter Magazine and more. She will graduate with a major in journalism in Summer 2023 with an emphasis on reporting and writing. In her free time, Emma enjoys reading, journaling, and hanging out with her cat Tuna. She’s a certified Swiftie who has a major bone to pick with John Mayer and is always down to go from a drive and blast music.