This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Life can get pretty hectic sometimes. Okay, maybe a lot of the time. With school, work, extracurricular activities and keeping up with friends and family, it can be difficult to stay enthusiastic and upbeat. So here are seven ways that you can be more positive and live a happier life!

1. Remove all the negative influences from your life.

Identify the different aspects of your life where you feel the most negativity springs from. Once you’re aware of what is causing these negative emotions, then you can enable change. Try replacing any negative activities and focus your time and energy on something new such as a project you’ve been wanting to start or even reading a good book!

2. Appreciate your surroundings.

Instead of focusing on the things in the day that bother you, try putting your energy towards appreciating the enjoyable moments and small wins throughout your day. Whether you got an A on a pop quiz, the line at Starbucks was super short or your outfit is on point that day—make time for those moments that make your day worth it.

3. Don’t compare yourself to others.

As my main man Dr. Seuss would say, “There is no one alive who is you-er than you!” Everything about who we are, what we do and how we succeed differs from person to person. Once you accept yourself for how awesome you are, you can be more confident in your accomplishments and appreciate those of others!

4. Focus more on the present.

There is no point in dwelling on past or future events when there is nothing we can do to change them. Instead, think to yourself about what you can do today in order to make for a better tomorrow. This will seem far more manageable than being anxious about what you cannot control.

5. Surround yourself with people who make you feel alive.

Negative people will only bring about more stress for yourself. You’re an amazing individual, and you don’t need anyone telling you otherwise! It’s important to find people in your life who are helpful, who will support you and who always pick you up when you’re feeling down.

6. Try to maintain a healthier lifestyle.

By keeping your body healthy, you’ll gain more energy and improve your mental and physical well-being. Exercise at least three times a week, follow a healthy diet and make sure you’re getting eight hours of sleep every night. Find techniques that will help manage your stress levels and you’ll find yourself feeling happier and more productive.

7. Take time to do what makes your soul happy.

Sometimes it’s okay to be a little selfish when it comes to taking care of yourself. One of my favorite sayings to live by is, “You don’t have to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.” If you’ve been having a rough day and need to unwind, do what you know will make you feel better. Take a nap. Call your best friend. Binge watch a show on Netflix. Make yourself a nice cup of tea. Soon you’ll feel refreshed and confident to take on the next day in your exciting life!

Lindsey Januszyk

Minnesota '20

Lindsey is a writer as well as Assistant Editor for Her Campus Minnesota. She is a third year double major in Child Psychology and English with a minor in Youth Studies. She loves running, listening to podcasts, and binging Brooklyn Nine-Nine on Hulu. 
Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.