This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Admittidly, I don’t like running very much. I ran cross country and played soccer in high school, so a lot of my afternoons were filled with 3 mile runs. They most definitely were not enjoyable, but there were so many benefits to it that I ended up liking it. Now, I like to take runs after work to blow off some steam and get a quick exercise in. Here are my top 5 reasons on why you should start running.

It’s Super Good For You

Plain and simple, running is amazing for your health. It’s works out your entire body and can even keep your heart healthy. Running can help you lose weight and burn stubborn fat if you desire. It also builds up your lungs and overall makes you healthier. 

It Tones Your Body

Running works out your entire body, shredding fat and building muscle. I still envy the definition I had in my legs when I ran competitively. You can also work out your entire body without ever having to go to the gym. If you’re looking for an overall tone of your body, then running is the activity for you.

It Can Help Your Memory

Studies have shown that running can reduce the chances of developing age-related mental decline. It can also prevent Alzhiemer’s and other diseases that effect your cognitave ability. Those who engage in activity like running have shown to have better memory recall, an easier time switching between tasks, and problem solving.

It Will Boost Your Self-Esteem

People who run regularly report that they have a higher confidence in themselves and higher self-esteem. Your self-esteem can boost even higher if you meet a goal that you set for yourself. It can also help deal with stress and other problems, which can easily effect how you feel about yourself. 

You Can Eat Whatever You Want

Since running is a cardio exercise, you burn a lot of calories and a lot of what you ate in a day. So, this means that you can fuel up before and after your run. My favorite part about running cross country were the spaghetti dinners the night before to carb up for the race. When I run regularly, I don’t find it as necessary to keep track of what I ate because of how much running does good for your body.

These are some of my biggest reasons to keep up with running and I hope they can help you start your running journey! Running is good for more than just your physical health, but for your emotional and mental health as well. Get some good sneakers and get out on the road!

HCXO, Jenna

Jenna Case

Millersville '20

Hello! I'm Jenna, I am an Applied Engineering major from Harrisburg, PA. I love to spend time with my family, and write! In my free time, I can usually be found watching Netflix or bullet journaling. For more about me, you can follow me on my Instagram @jennaccase