This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

As every collegiette knows, the week of finals is one of the most stressful times of the year! With nail biting at an all time high, finding ways to take a deep breath and relax seems almost impossible. Here are some suggested ways to curb anxiety to help you destress that we hope will be useful this week!

1. Work out: Good for both the body and the mind, getting an occasional work out in during the week can help your body take out some of the stress wreaking havoc on your body internally. The adrenaline pumped into the body and the endorphins released after the work out will help improve your mood! Like Elle Woods always says, “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy!”

2. Eat some great food: Comfort food really comes in handy when trying to curb anxiety. Eating one of your favorite sweets here and there will provide a little bit of relief and enjoyment to get you through the day. You can reward yourself with treats during a study break or after completing (and totally dominating) your final exams! 

3. Get enough sleep: One of the biggest impacts of anxiety is the lack of sleep. In order to feel refreshed during the day, shoot to get at least 7 hours of sleep. If getting 7 hours of sleep a night seems like a dream, try taking half-hour to hour naps during the day. Getting enough sleep will also help the brain retain information for finals during the week!

4. Do things that relax you: Whether this is dancing to Rebecca Black’s latest song, “Saturday” (we won’t judge you!), watching your favorite Christmas movie, or doing yoga, find time to do the things that relax you the most. By taking study breaks, your mind will stay focused without getting too overwhelmed from studying. Small rewards can go a long way when working hard!

5. Take a deep breath: This is probably the easiest tip to follow when curbing anxiety. When feeling stressed out, take a deep breath, hold it for a few seconds, and then let it out. Taking a moment to relax and calm down can help reduce anxiety during stressful times. It’s a quick way to minimize the amount of stress felt while thinking about exams! 

HC wishes luck to everyone on their final papers, projects, and exams this week; and just know that Ryan Gosling believes in you! :)