Wellness

“Doesn’t it Seem Warmer, Just Knowing the Sun Will be Out”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

The sun sets a bit later and life seems a little better. Evening classes are not so miserable when the orange hue of the sunset hits my cold walls, keeping me company while I drown out my professor’s soft voice. The other day, I saw a cotton candy sunset for the first time in what felt like too long. Countless photos of this picturesque scene made themselves known on my social media. Everyone was enamored with this one sunset. It suddenly seemed as though spring was not so far away.  

Silhouette of two people
Photo by Tori Wise from Unsplash

It’s been four months of snow, slush, freezing weather, dark mornings, and somber afternoons. Hot chocolates don’t taste as exciting as they did in December. Fuzzy socks are getting worn out. The cold weather seems to always be the perfect excuse to not take a walk and be outside at all. The little hours of sunlight make the morning rays of warm light that hit my kitchen window my favorite part of the day. In those precious moments, the nape of my neck immerses itself in the warmth of the sun before its quick departure into the everlasting night.  

The clocks go forward in two weeks. We’ll lose an hour of sleep, but days will now seem longer. The temperature will slowly start to get warmer. The sun will prolong its stay. More people will walk down your street. This means more friendly smiles to be exchanged. A stranger’s kind smile in a very much masked world is a cherished and comforting moment. Walks with friends no longer will be cut short because of our frozen toes. Instead, we will bask in the sun whilst mingling away. The snow will start to melt. The grass will be muddy with a hint of green growing its way toward the sun. The leaves of trees will start to sprout. The rain will take the snow’s place, and although many days will be cloudy and pouring, taking walks after rainfall will make you feel like a new person. The fresh new air, glistening sidewalks, and small puddles will greet you as wander around. Beloved iced drinks will make their return, and we will welcome those brain freeze with open arms.  

tulips in bloom
Photo by Yoksel ? Zok from Unsplash

March means school will end in two months. This remaining and fleeting time will be busy and assignment-filled. Spring break isn’t really a break. The second round of midterms will give us nightmares and finals will rob us of sleep. But March means spring is close by. That the yearly tulips will soon bloom and rainbows will follow rainfalls. That the morning warmth will soon encourage us to leave our bed. Evenings will be filled with orange-pink hues. That windows can be opened allowing us to faintly hear the conversations of those who walk down your street accompanied by the sounds of the chirping bird who’ve returned to be our friendly neighbor.  

Although the end of this pandemic is still very much unclear and school still controls much of our life, the month of March brings somewhat of a new beginning, one where the sun is our best friend who we excitedly great each day. With little going well at the moment, finding small joys in the changing weather and this transitional month of March can help us feel better. Even if it’s just a little better.  

“Doesn’t it seem warmer? 

Just knowing the sun will be out.”

– James Blake 

Currently in her second year of her undergraduate degree in occupational therapy, Marie-An is passionate about all things visual arts, literature, and health and human rights advocacy.